Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Is It Wierd to Name One's Telescope?

helicalwave

When I got my Sky Watcher 200p Newt in May of this year I posted a pic of it on my FB page and my friends began throwing names at my wall, none of which I cared for in the least. Faced with possibly years of bad nomenclature ahead, I came up with my own name for him(?): "Shaft", after John Shaft from the 1971 classic blaxploitation film of the same name. Thought it was pithy. It's a bit awkward in casual conversation, it must be said.

Just wondered if this behaviour is normal?

• Like 1

This is my telescope. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My telescope is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

----------

Anyhow, you might wanna draw the line where you're talking to and caressing your scope. "there there Darlene... you just keep on tracking that star for daddy... Thats it... thats a good scope!"

Sincerely, Alveprins.

• Like 9

Nice idea a give a scope a name I think, especially a home build one I. People do it with boats, other things, so why not a scope :)

I doubt I would put it on facebook personally mind you. Social media like twitter and facebook seem more like a minefield for people to feast on these days, fill them up with rude comments, much like youtube. In fact I used facebook so little ever since I had an account, I closed my account in the end. I don't miss it in the slightest. I can see it has uses, in business when you depend on it, but for personal use, life goes on for me happily without facebook ( and twitter ).

Edited by AlexB67

This is my telescope. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My telescope is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Beat me to it!

My wife named my current scope "too blumming big" if that counts

There is a snappy comeback to that which could result in instant divorce. :smiley:

• Like 1

Me & my Sister where talking about naming it before I'd even decided on what scope I was getting lol. I've named it Jumping Jupiter after I accidentally dropped the scope the first time I was looking at Juitper through it. Jupiter was in an awkward position form my garden but it was until I moved to try & track the ISS was when it fell. As it's a table top I move it with by carrying it on the table which was never been a problem before. It looked pretty bad till I had a look the eye piece flew out of the barlow & the barlow itself flew also its a scope collapsible so it collapsed in(I wonder if it took some of the impact) Fortunately the scope seemed to be fine apart from a chip on the mount. I was thinking of making a sticker for the mount that says ' Jumping Jupiter'

When I got my Sky Watcher 200p Newt in May of this year I posted a pic of it on my FB page and my friends began throwing names at my wall, none of which I cared for in the least. Faced with possibly years of bad nomenclature ahead, I came up with my own name for him(?): "Shaft", after John Shaft from the 1971 classic blaxploitation film of the same name. Thought it was pithy. It's a bit awkward in casual conversation, it must be said.

Just wondered if this behaviour is normal?

no
  • Like 2

I've never anthropomorphised my belongings, as for me I've never really seen the point for me. I can understand why people would though, so each to their own. You'd have to be careful to name it something that couldn't get badly taken out of context..

I named my scope.." Evelyn" due to the fact that it was my nans name and when she passed on she left me a few quid and therefore gave me the money to get my scope ( as well as other astro stuff) sounds a bit soppy but, whenever I get my scope out I think of all all the molecules being released from her body into the big wide void and it makes me happy to feel that a part of her is maybe is out there somewhere. ....like said. .." iI know it sounds soppy"

Bungielad.

• Like 1

Well I never decided to name my scopes, and don't name things generally, but when I set up my second scope (200p dob) it occurred to me that it was a Jeffrey. I don't know why or whence that came, but there it was and so it is. I'd hardly say I anthropomorphise it though, I just refer to it as 'Jeffers' instead of 'the dob' :)

my wife named my dob vera, because i keep a shower cap on the primary end of the ota when it's being stored (it's to stop creepy crawlies getting in). wasn't sure i liked it at first but the name has grown on me since. it's also know as my other woman too lol