SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up - Watec 120n on astrobuysell for £150!

michaelmorris

No really much more to say! The Watec 120n+ (I don't know whether or not the advertiser has accidentally missed off the +) used to sell for >£500 until they recently stopped making it. If this is in good nick and it is the same camera, this sound as if it could be a real bargain.

I noticed the Watec as well tonight, I'm new to VA so I may be wrong but it looks like it is a 120n as the advertiser mentions 5 second shutter speed and on the Modern Astronomy website the info for the 120+ says it can expose up to 10 seconds. I've only managed a first light (more info to follow when I have the time) with my Minitron camera this week which was great and was showing detail in galaxies with only 2 and half second integration (max for the Minitron) and I'm already wondering how much better 5 or 10 seconds would be!! So it still looks like a good deal to me...... which I must resist! :grin:

Congratulations, I don't know enough about the cameras to know exactly what the difference between the 120n and 120n+ but looking at the spec here it looks like you've got a good deal either way. :smiley:

I did also find this page which has tables for both camera's maybe someone with more experience will be able to advise you better what the difference is after looking at the page.

Congratulations, I don't know enough about the cameras to know exactly what the difference between the 120n and 120n+ but looking at the spec here it looks like you've got a good deal either way. :smiley:

I did also find this page which has tables for both camera's maybe someone with more experience will be able to advise you better what the difference is after looking at the page.

Many thanks Stev74 for finding that information. Looking at the main Watec webpage, it is only possible to find the 120N (the 120N+ is not shown). Looking at your second link, I cannot see any difference in integration times between the 120N and 120N+. Does anybody know what the difference is between the two models?

I BELIEVE the maximum integration is 256x in BOTH the 120N and 120N+ Watecs. The latter has greater

user control over the fast shutter speeds? These for planetary, solar and... "normal" daytime use. :)

The WAT120N has (used to have) a control box with (rotary switch) settings: OFF and 1 - 256 "frames".

http://www.nexstarsi...mages/watec.jpg

My *plus* version box has "manual" setting (controlled my the locking side switch) and "FRAME" settings

1 - 9 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256x) PLUS an additional series of "HIGH" settings 1-6 1/50s to 1/2000s.

http://stargazerslou...0n-control-box/

The documentation is confusing (well, it confuses me!) - But this is how I believe the "theory" goes...

The CCIR version Watec 120N (and N plus) are both rated at "1/50s" but the actual FRAMES are 1/25s.

This because the hardware "frame" actually consists of two interlace sub-frames, produced sequentially.

This makes sense because on the 256x setting the WAT120n+ is SEEN to update the screen ever 10s!

(256 X 1/25s *frames* =10 seconds whereas 256 x 1/50s is only 5 seconds) :p

With the control boxe disconnected, both the Watecs deliver frame rates of 25fps (2x1/50s) interlaced.

The gain setting corresponds to knob at mid range and a gamma setting of "LO" or 0.45x. (I checked!)

P.S. For the 30m remote cable, I decided to use DB25 crimp connectors at the "split" in the control cable.

The 30m extension is now 2x8-core "alarm" cable. A bit less stiff / more solder / crimp friendly than CAT6. :)

Archived