Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Hi all, last night the sky looked very clear, so i thought i'd take the camera out and try to capture the summer Milky way, so i drove a few miles outside of Norwich to a reasonably darkish site, but noticed there was a lot of moisture in the air, the lightdome from Norwich and Wymondham was sizeable but straight up wasn't to bad, so i set the tripod up and grabbed my new Canon 6D..........and no quick release pad :icon_cry: it was on my telephoto at home, D'oh

But the milkyway looked so amazing and so close to a city i had to persevere, set the focus, set 10 second timer and laid it face up on the roof of the car, far from perfect but the resulting pics made me smile, this is one of the shots.......

post-17906-0-38018400-1378400619_thumb.j

Its a single exposure at 17mm 20 seconds @ f/4 and an ISO of 6400.

The processing brought out some noise but its lightyears ahead of the cropped 60D in terms of quality, if only i'd remembered the quick release pad :BangHead:

Another cracking advert for Canons latest FF sensors :) ....

The QR plate problem is a nightmare... At the moment I have 4 different types across my tripods and monopods.... I make sure I have spares of each and there's always one fitted to each head in addition to the ones on the cameras and tripod collars...

Peter..

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 4

Cheers Peter, i've got three but all were at home, The Milky way looks so much better in the summer, shame you have to stay up that much later to view it, but definitely worth it :)

Just out of curiosity, is the "Summer Triangle" in the above shot, there is some distortion because of the wideness of the lens but i'm thinking its just in, was a bit hit and miss in the aiming :grin:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wavydavy
      Canon 450D Modified for astrophotography, the IR cut filter has been removed for better response on red emission nebula in deep sky objects. Comes with battery, and charger. Shutter count is (atm) 5914, see picture 4. The camera is in great condition, throughout. No lens, just body. Will post special delivery. message me if you have any questions. Price is £150.

• By aramitsharma
      Low shutter count. Have used this camera only twice. Once for andromeda and then for lunar eclipse. 
      Will supply with 2 or prob 3 batteries, whatever i have and charger
      £200 pp extra
    • By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By Amajed
      Hi, this is my first time using my new Esprit 100ED, my first time processing using Pixinsight, and it's my first image using a Mono + filters.

I loved them, can't wait to try on more targets.

here's the result:

Equipments:
      SkyWatcher Esprit 100ED
      SkyWatcher EQ6-R
      SkyWatcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope
      Imaging cam ZWO ASI1600MM Cool Pro
      ZWO EFW
      ZWO LRGB+NB 36mm filters
      Guiding cam ZWO ASI290MM Mini

Seeing was avarage
      Location was in a Green Zone

Exposures:
      Ha 11x1800sec
      L 39x300sec
      R 13x300sec
      G 15x300sec
      B 15x300sec
      Darks:
      24x300sec
      10x1800sec
      Bias:

Thanks
    • By FranckiM06
      Hello everyone,
      So, I come back with a nice galaxy that we don't see often in the astronomy forums. This week-end, I was ready to do some shots on nebula and I installed already the reducer but when I was ready, It was too late to have a shots on my target so I decided to change and to do some shots on this galaxy that is interesting target concerning the polar ring. I was lasy to remove my reducer and to install again the flattener so I was afraid to get small target view but it is ok.
      Concerning the exposure time, I have done 15 x 600s + 18 x 300s in Luminance (without guiding) :   

I hope you will like it.
      Franck

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.