SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

127 Mak M2

JamesF

This is from an about an hour of 90-second RGB subs last night. I was hoping for more, but the sky just wouldn't cooperate, the subs got dim and I lost my guide star, so I moved on to M15 instead. More of that later...

I've just noticed on this monitor that I should have cropped off the edges a little. I might go back and do that later.

m2-2013-09-03.png

James

Really lovely, James. So much detail in there and good shape to the outer stars, too.

You do very well with that Mak.

Thank you :)

I really need better polar alignment if I can get it I think. At 1500mm focal length subs of longer than two minutes are quite a struggle at the moment, and guiding doesn't always keep things tight enough.

James

I'm using combinations of a DSLR and mono CCD with a filter wheel (all with the 127 Mak) for DSO and solar/lunar images. For planetary thus far I've used an SPC900 and ASI120MC, but now I have the hang of the filter wheel I'm quite tempted to try a bit of mono planetary imaging when Jupiter is a little more accessible.

For a number of years I've used a somewhat ageing unguided EQ3-2 for the Mak, but perhaps because of the lack of guiding or perhaps because it's just old I found I was throwing away about 50% of my subs by the time I was getting to 45 second exposures. For that reason I've moved it onto a HEQ5 now, and the guiding has really helped.

I've not totally given up on the EQ3-2 though. My plan is to strip it and rebuild it and then do the AstroEQ mod so I can guide it. It's still not really going to take a lot of weight for imaging, but it will easily take a DSLR or a mono CCD and DSLR lens.

James

I have read time and again that the mount is all important (especially for long exposure DSO imaging) and notice in your signature the NEQ6 Pro so it begs the question (to me, anyway!)...Why aren't you using it instead of making plans to modify the EQ3-2?

Really like the second stab, BTW.

Steve

THe HEQ5 is fine for the 127 Mak. The EQ3-2 is quite usable if it doesn't have too much weight on it (I've managed 4 minute subs with a DSLR and 200mm lens) so modding it to be guidable will give me more options which is handy when both the children are interested in astronomy. Much of my larger kit got put into storage when we started some work on the house which has dragged on much longer than planned. It will all get sorted when the obsy gets built :)

James

I also have an EQ3-2 and love it... So practical.

It is, which is another reason for keeping it and modding it, really. That done it would be excellent for sticking in the car to take on holiday. Ok, I could sell it and buy the GOTO version, but doing the mod is part of the fun, and being quite a few years old now the mount isn't really worth that much second hand.

James

Archived