GSO or Skywatcher

Gal

For the money I think the GSO on EQ6 package is better.

I'm not sure about the OTA - I know the 200P is an excellent telescope since I had one. But I can see that the GSO version has the same AND more features.

for me personally, I'd go for the GSO/EQ6 deal.

The Skywatcher has a slightly smaller secondary mirror - 58mm v's 63mm so less impact on contrast. I reckon the Skywatcher is more likely to have a better quality mirror than the GSO, on average.

Otherwise, not much in it.

I was speaking to someone a few weeks back, who had their skywatcher mirror tested. The reading came back as 1/6PV. Skywatcher do appear to mass produce constistently good standard optics, which ought to be between 1/4 and 1/6 PV, there are very few negative accounts that I have come across from users. Cannot speak for GSO and I have little experience with premium mirrors, but I am very happy with the optics on my 300p flextube.

Can't say I've looked into a SW but I have the 10" GSO and I love it. The alt/az motion is just a dream. It has a fan. Keeps Collimation very well despite being moved on a sack truck. Can't fault it really. Sometimes feel I enjoy using it more than my 16" (I didn't say that out loud, did I?)

Can't give you a direct comparison but wouldn't sell my 10" GSO, probably hold onto it before the 16" ( didn't say that .....etc)

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Came to the situation where I got my EQ6 mount only need the OTA and both of them cost the same which one would you choose? Will use it for both visual and astrophotography.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3888_Skywatcher-Explorer-250PDS---10--f-4-7-Newton---2--1-10-Crayford.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2765_GSO-254-1250mm-Newtonian---10--parabolic-Mirror---OTA.html

Archived