Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS 3 minute pass at 17:21

dave1978

Caught it too... blazed across the sky like a flying light bulb. Can't wait for that 3rd solar array joint to be fixed. Then the solar panel should be facing flat on like the rest... even brighter then. :icon_jokercolor:

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

You do not need any observing aid to see the ISS Johnny, it is just like a very bright star crossing the sky at a fair pace, but easy to follow.

Some have used telescopes and cameras to actually image the space station, and very good they are too, there is no mistaking what it is, and it looks good when the shuttle is docked also.#

Ron. :rolleyes:

how would one set up a scope (goto) to track and image the ISS? Would I need to connect up to my laptop?

I think the preferred method is a webcam, then the resultant frames can be selected and stacked software such as Registax.

If I am incorrect here, I hope someone will explain the best method for doing this. I don't think you need to use your laptop for tracking, but you will need a guidescope to enable you to follow the station across the sky, which can be difficult. Also, the ISS crosses from West to East, but in a straight line, therefore your tracking is only in one direction. Still not easy though.

Ron.

I did it manually buy hand with my dobsonian by keeping the ISS in the finderscope crosshairs as best I could (Pic Here). It would be much harder with an EQ mount, especially if the ISS goes directly overhead. I don't think a GOTO mount is up to the job either. Even though a GOTO can slew fast enough, I don't think such an orbit can be 'followed' by goto.

Matt

yes I remember you posting that one Matt super view that

no chance of seeing much more than the fireworks that's driving our Jack Russell bonkers hearing all the bangs and whistles

good job its almost midnight aint it :insects1:

oh well back to looking out for :rolleyes::lol::D:( for me

Archived