Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pleiades

starnut

Is it possible to see Pleiades with the naked eye because last night at 03.00 I looked out side (looking south) and I could make out in my light polluted sky and could see a dim cluster of stars and it looked in the position where Pleiades would have been, is this possible.

Absolutely it is and you could argue it's best seen this way. Many telescopes can't even frame it in the eyepiece all at once! My main scope will be on the lower end of what I like to use in an attempt to frame it. I probably wouldn't even bother in it to be honest. I'd get my smaller 6" out to view it or just look at it in finder scope / binoculars.

At 3am, the cluster is visible towards the east (more so then south). Its above Orion. I have circled the cluster in red in this image. Its very visible to the naked eye. To my eyes, the shape always reminds me of a shopping trolley.

I always thought it looked like a miniature big dipper, though for the life of me I can only ever make out six of the "seven sisters".

My scope has far too much focal length to take it all in, I usually end up looking at it through the finder.

I always thought it looked like a miniature big dipper, though for the life of me I can only ever make out six of the "seven sisters".

On the History Channel series 'The Universe'. Im sure one of the guys, whos name escapes me but he is a prof at California Uni, said that it is thought that was one of them radically dimmed or went Supernova or something along those lines as most people can only pick out 6.

Saw it Wednesday night, still low and just clearing the hedge but it will only get better.

One of the beauties of a shorter focal length apo refractor is that it will frame M45 perfectly as I can get over 3.5 degree fov using a big nag :-). Looks lovely, amazing to see all those stars, when I too can only normally pick up six with the naked eye.

Enjoy, Orion is not far away now :-)

Stu

Is it possible to see Pleiades with the naked eye because last night at 03.00 I looked out side (looking south) and I could make out in my light polluted sky and could see a dim cluster of stars and it looked in the position where Pleiades would have been, is this possible.

Absolutely yes, I was able to see them directly with naked eye and with no effort in Sardinia. If you use a pair of binos, even some cheap ones, you will be able to see much more and it's absolutely amazing :)

Saw it Wednesday night, still low and just clearing the hedge but it will only get better.

One of the beauties of a shorter focal length apo refractor is that it will frame M45 perfectly as I can get over 3.5 degree fov using a big nag :-). Looks lovely, amazing to see all those stars, when I too can only normally pick up six with the naked eye.

Stu

Agreed. One of the best objects through my 80mm APO and my 40mm Aero.

Archived