sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Which 127?

Thanks for the replies. He went for the celestron in the end.

Now the handset provided looks identical to my handset on my 8se. Now my Se has 40000 objects and the 127 only 4000. Are they different handset or can the slt be updated?

Good choice. I own the Celestron 127 SLT and while there is a cigarette papers width between them the 127 SLT is marginally the better scope by virtue of the slightly different accessories. Optically they are identical as they are made by the same parent company in the same factory.

Well I have previously had a skywatcher dob and am on my second celestron. I advised my friend that the celestron eyepiece is better and I really like the goto on the celestron.

My friend brought it from FLO today after they echoed my thoughts.

Btw just to note my friend mentioned that FLO were very helpful, so cheers guys

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I have the Celestron 127 Mak, optically its very nice and for a 5 inch scope the planets/moon are fantastic through it, just tell your friend to be a little careful when setting up/taking down, I think I was a little heavy handed when I set up once and I managed to break 1 of the tripod spreaders so tell him to be careful when setting up and actually spreading the legs of the tripod. But to be honest, I've kept the tube and have bought a cg5 mount for it, really enjoy using it, the Planetary/Luna work I've done with it never fails to amaze me from such a small aperture. Nice 1 Paul.

the slt is upgradable but the object base is 4000. the reason , I assume is celestron recognises this scope is useful for these interesting objects and dso's further away will not be seen . celestial numbers are truly 'celestial' so a database could potentially be billions....

You probably know this; make sure he has an external power supply, I use batteries as a back up power source only. Also, get a dew shield, I use a homemade one that is longer than the ones you can buy. For stability; I dropped the central tray a little and place a 5kg weight on it (one of my son's weights) plus I never fully extend the lower legs.

Thanks for the comments. I had a nightmare trying to run my 8se off batteries, so told my friend to order a power pack with the telescope.

One problem we encountered was the lead he brought. It doesn't fit very well so often drops the power off. Also it comes up with an error 1orang 17 code while using the telescope. I guess this is also the lead, as when swapped with my maplin lead this didn't happen

See, just ask anything on here - nice 1 guys - just another point on the leads - when I had the 127 on the goto mount, I think I ran a velcro strap around the "arm" of the mount and fed the lead up through the strap - this held it in a more "useable" position when the scope was whizzing around the sky, also the cg5 mount that I have, the lead which came with the mount had a threaded type washer on the plug, the plug fits into the power "hole" and the washer tightens on the outside of the "hole" you think I could get this to fit !! and tighten, holding the plug in place all night - nice idea - but impossible to tighten.

I think you just have to be aware that with all the leads hanging off the scopes we have - even with the cord wrap feature enabled - you still have to be careful - I've lost power a couple of times with the CPC, just a few minutes re aligning and I'm away again.

Just to say this forum is great - with all the knowledge on here someone's "been there" and "done that". Nice 1 all. Paul.

when I had the 127 on the goto mount, I think I ran a velcro strap around the "arm" of the mount and fed the lead up through the strap - this held it in a more "useable" position when the scope was whizzing around the sky

I think you just have to be aware that with all the leads hanging off the scopes we have - even with the cord wrap feature enabled - you still have to be careful - I've lost power a couple of times with the CPC, just a few minutes re aligning and I'm away again.

That is what I do, the lead goes around the mount arm before being plugged in to stop it accidentally falling out, plus I can then also switch the cordwrap off. This is the main reason I keep batteries in, ie if the cord falls/gets knocked out then I still have power.

I bought a jump start pack from Maplins, it comes with a charger and among other accessories there is a cigarette lighter socket, which my power lead plugs into, seems to do the trick and was about £25, so if you are on a budget its a bit cheaper than a power tank to start with, LUM