Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Mount Bolts

Hi,

Having read about the problems some are experiencing with the EQ5 mount bolts, I was wondering if the EQ3-2 bolts were better.

I have both mounts, but use only the EQ5 now so I could swap easily the bolts. Or am I still better off sending £28 for the ones of eBay?

To a certain extent I think it depends how heavy-handed you are. If you try to force the bolts to turn and move the alt axis with a 200P and 10kg of counterweights on the bar it's not going to end well. Make your adjustments with the minimum of weight on the mount and you may well be fine.

My (very old) EQ3-2 arrived with bolts that had seen better days. I removed them, straightened them as best I could and put them back. I didn't have any problems after that. I've not had a problem with the HEQ5 or NEQ6 either. But I don't stick a huge amount of kit on the top and then expect to go twiddling the alt adjustment with abandon.

James

Thumb rule is: Loosen one bolt before screwing in the other and you will be just fine. If you are heavy handed, just get yourself some made of High speed steel. Ok, ignore this bit, i am just kidding. Use minimum weight, and after you load fully made double sure that one is loosened before adjustment.

I agree with the others, however, I bent a latitude bolt on my EQ5, without much pressure. It was that bad, it had to be drilled out and was a right pain in the you know what. As a result, I will always invest in the upgrades.....better safe than sorry.... :grin:

Thanks for replies.

Compared EQ3-2 bolts against EQ5, and I would say the EQ3-2 felt stiffer when I applied pressure; ie trying to see how easy they would start to bend in ones hands.

So I think I will swap them over for a mount test when the cloud and rain has passed, but may be some days away.

There is the DIY route if you have an electric drill, hack saw, file etc. M8 stainless threaded rod can be had off Ebay for just a tad less than £5 for 500mm, free post. Source a couple of handles of your choice, threaded M8, some epoxy resin and the job is done. Certainly less than forking out almost £30 :)

Catch is you only have to bend one once.

I would not have thought that the EQ3-2 had better bolts then the EQ5, unless they are different sizes and come from a different source (=better material). In effect cannot see the bolts being any better or fitting.

Actually the question is I suppose why are there few/no reports of bent bolts on EQ3-2's.

Perhaps the design is a bit better (chance more then intention).

Search around the various Astro shops the prices differ you will find. The set I have were not a lot. However 2 problems are I cannot recall who I bought them from at the Astro Fair around Leamington Spa way and I cannot recall which mount I bought them for, EQ5 or HEQ5.

Archived