Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISON 3rd September 2013

I couldn't believe it. Mars was rising between the neighbours houses as dawn started to approach.

As ISON wasn't too far away, I thought I'd give it a go.

It was still hidden behind the building, but it was slowly rising.

Eventually, after what seemed like hours, it emerged and was starting to record on the camera.

I took as many images as possible before the encroaching dawn washed it out.

Here's the result. It was about 14 degrees above the horizon at the time.

post-2275-0-65879400-1378183081_thumb.jp

Well done thats quite an achievement.

I'm really looking forward to this but most reports I've read recently seem to be disappointing, at least in context with the comet of the century reporting we were getting earlier in the year .Could someone tell me whether my brief synopsis below is somewhere near the mark with regard to Ison as I've built up a lot of my friends expectations for what may yet transpire at the end of the year and need to get the excuses in early before I'm linched for reamping lol

Apologies for hijacking the thread and please ignore if you want to I won't be offended :0)

The comet will not get its "tail" until it gets a lot closer to the sun

recently it disappeared from view behind the sun and when it emerged it was not as bright as a lot of observeres had hoped.

Early October it will cross the Orbit of Mars

At this point it will reach the frost line - the point when Ice within the nucleus starts to vapourise and becomes more visible to observers

It may also be visible to the probes already on Mars for better visual shots, this could be as early as late August.

Late November it gets close enough to the sun that external temperatures are in excess of 5K C now we either get a magnificent tail as more and more gasses and vapours are ejected or the Comet breaks up and is basically consumed.

If it survives its pass with the sun we could potentially have a comet visible by day light though nothing is certain at this point lasting. It will first becone visible by binoculars low in the East late November / Early December.

and without googling and writing it down this is currently the cover story - anyone like to pick as many holes in my synopsis or educate me further I would be most grateful.

Steve

It will only be bright enough to be seen in daylight (If it does achieve that brightness) when it is close to the Sun near Perihelion.

So it will be rising and setting with the Sun and only visible in a daytime sky.

It should be easily visible to the naked eye (We hope) a week or so (hopefully more) either side of perihelion.

The comet is only visible in the eastern morning sky just before sunrise from now and when it is at its best.

It will become a circumpolar object early 2014, but will have faded by this time.

just read some bits on the face book page about comet ison and dave,s on there with the picture and other latest pics

its getting exciting now as the photos come along, and with how to get best viewing early morning shame east of my

house is totally blocked with trees.

but im following this, lets hope we all get a wonderus view .of her when she gets closer to perihelion

steve

If there was one place where I didn't want it to be it was in the East - straight towards Cardiff and the bright lights- better start formulating an observing plan already

This was taken with the scope only a few degrees off a street light that shines right in my observatory.

So don't let light pollution put you off. I have heaps of it here.

Luckily the object is rising between my two neighbours houses, I didn't think I was going to see it for a few weeks yet.

Archived