Fullerscopes 8" Newt plus mount - a bargain?

Adrian

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just like mine too!...or at least like the one I used to have back in the 70's. As I recall the mirrors were available in one twentieth, one eigth and one quarter of a wave. According to Fullerscopes at the time - most people chose one eighth of a wave, which is what I did.

I think we need a special Fullerscopes thread :smiley: I bought mine in 78 and still have it, along with the MK 111 mount and drive.

when I ordered mine they offered class a/b optics,'a' being 1/8 wave, which is the one I have. For £50 it would make a great project scope and should perform very well if mine is anything to go by. :smiley:

I'm saying nothing other than £40 ;) Just getting into the hobby and just happened upon the advert about 20 minutes after it was posted. Had to snap it up and I literally stay less than 10 miles away. It needs little work on the mount but the scope itself needs a new focuser and the primary mirror recoated.

Out of sheer curiosity, how much should i have been looking to pay for this?

I'm saying nothing other than £40 ;) Just getting into the hobby and just happened upon the advert about 20 minutes after it was posted. Had to snap it up and I literally stay less than 10 miles away. It needs little work on the mount but the scope itself needs a new focuser and the primary mirror recoated.

Out of sheer curiosity, how much should i have been looking to pay for this?

I would think its worth a few hundred quids. If you compared it to a comparable modern scope with solid mount. If its a Hind Mirror it might be marked on the back, if you can find an (a) its 1/8 wave optics :smiley:

Nice one korginger. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

I found a Fullerscopes catalogue online at this address. Sorry, don't know how to attache a link.

philjay2000.tripod.com/BCFcatalogue_1985.pdf .

I bought my 816mm F6 in 77 along with mkII mount (utility version of mkIII) and manual slow motions. Had it housed in a run off shed.

Regretably sold it in the 80s to a bloke from Shropshire as I recall. Had just moved house at the time and needed money to sort out unforseen problems with it.

I found a Fullerscopes catalogue online at this address. Sorry, don't know how to attache a link.

philjay2000.tripod.com/BCFcatalogue_1985.pdf .

Thats a nice find. Much more than a catalogue!

I drooled over the Fullerscopes catalogue for many years, dreaming of owning one of their scopes.

It wasn't until I got a proper job that I could afford anything. I eventually made my purchase in 83/84.

Very expensive stuff back then!! My wife and I were both working at the time but not in very well paid jobs, so it took a long period of scrimping and saving to buy that scope. Owned a Fullerscopes 76mm refractor previously - sold that to help fund the newt.

Thats a nice find. Much more than a catalogue!

I drooled over the Fullerscopes catalogue for many years, dreaming of owning one of their scopes.

It wasn't until I got a proper job that I could afford anything. I eventually made my purchase in 83/84.

Same here, regularly thumbed through the catalogue and dreamed of owning a scope. But getting married in 1984 and having kids put paid to that at the time. Did we really wear flared trousers like the people in the catalogue :p

All that for a few pennies more than the price of a BST eyepiece!!... the mind boggles! :Envy:

That pedestal support looks the business. I dearly wanted one of those back in the day but had to settle for the cheaper wood tripod - didn't want to push my luck too far with the wife. :kiss:

Archived