Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tilley lamp

BUSMANMARK

Any flame in a tent is dangerous. It is also likely to be between you and the exit. Fume build up as well as fire are the risks. You can leave a lamp outside a tent and still exploit its light. I would do this, though since LED lights use so little battery I'd say the Tilley was obsolete. If you are using it for heat, think again.

Olly

As olly said, Tilley lamp outside, battery lamp inside. i have on occasion used a small parrafin lamp inside my fishing bivvy just to warm the air, but they cause lots of condensation, and I only used it first thing in the morning when I was awake. Too dangerous to go to sleep with one lit.

Best advice is don't do it, buy a battery lamp.

Hi,

I agree with all the above. Too many people die each year in their tents caused by a naked flame.

I use a LED lamp from Clas Ohlson, it has 60 LEDs, built-in re-chargeable battery and adapter.

It lasts 6 hours on a charge. It only costs £9.99.......

I have two of these lights. I have put a red transparent film around one of them to protect my night

vision.

I saw something similar in Halfords.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi,

I agree with all the above. Too many people die each year in their tents caused by a naked flame.

I use a LED lamp from Clas Ohlson, it has 60 LEDs, built-in re-chargeable battery and adapter.

It lasts 6 hours on a charge. It only costs £9.99.......

I have two of these lights. I have put a red transparent film around one of them to protect my night

vision.

I saw something similar in Halfords.

Cheers

Adrian

Yes, the LED has transformed battery lighting. I remember the first LED cycle tail lights appearing in the late eighties and solving a problem at a stroke. Generally a good LED head torch is a boon in a tent since it is always pointing in the right direction! Petzval are expensive but worth it.

Olly

just a word regarding carbon fuels, carbon monoxide is produced if there is insufficient air for combustion, or the appliance is not burning correctly, please don't become one of the 50 plus people who die each year in the UK because of carbon monoxide poisoning, I don't want to tell any one how to suck eggs, just remember carbon monoxide has no smell or taste, will make you drowsy before doing the deed, and there is usually only one outcome, thanks LUM

just a word regarding carbon fuels, carbon monoxide is produced if there is insufficient air for combustion, or the appliance is not burning correctly, please don't become one of the 50 plus people who die each year in the UK because of carbon monoxide poisoning, I don't want to tell any one how to suck eggs, just remember carbon monoxide has no smell or taste, will make you drowsy before doing the deed, and there is usually only one outcome, thanks LUM

Please do read this at least twice.

Olly

Another option is this http://www.yateleyangling.co.uk/bushlite-candle-lamp-en-2.html

If you kick it over it is still safe and uses cheap candles. I used mine a lot when out fishing as you also get an adaptor top plate which you place mozzie tabs on. These Bushlites seem hard to find lately but they are very good and worth the money.

• 2 months later...

The 60-LED rechargeable lamps come up in ALDI/LIDL at regular intervals for about a tenner, which is far less than Halfrauds will (over)charge you. If you have a leisure battery in your camping paraphernalia you can add a simple car type cig lighter socket and recharge it at any time - even while it's in use. Although I've still got a tent (6-man vis-a-vis; I like my elbow room) I'm much more likely to take my Dandy 5 folding camper for weekends away as it has full cooking facilities, mains and 12 volt electrics, a double bed with mattress a 4-seater sofa and an awing of 2.5 metres square! not exactly 'Glamping', but not that far off either.

I like the thought of wrapping the lamp with some red material to shift the output frequency to prevent losing dark adaptation.

Archived