SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

a pet talk

AstroTiger

Hi guys

I feel it is time to say a few things to you, and bring things into prospective.

There seems much tension in the SGL, with what appears to be a lot of hard feeling. There is really no need for it.

Firstly can i say how impressed i have been with this forum, This place is really going places. You have had mentions in S@N i believe. Even now top astronomers are joining here.

The truth , and the thing to think about is, what you were when you started out and who you are now is completely different. what u have become has changed.

From the days where you started as a yahoo news group, you are becoming a household name.

We have even has other sites sprout from here like a growing tree.

I see stars is becoming a standard for monitoring light pollution, which was developed by a member here (sorry chap i am terrbile with names)

We have FLO, another up and coming business.

What we have here is a community. And yes you would be right, astronomy retailers would be looking to sell here. To be fair, they are trying to run a business, make a living. Just trying to survive like the rest of us.

Not easy to do in this climate

Its a shame there is no way for them to pay, as the SGL needs funds if it is to grow. Aunty Flow kindly does this, and its one of the reasons i buy from there out ofr first choice.

You need i think to look (if you have no already done so) where you are, and where ur going with this.

you have done fantastic job all of u, and you continue to do so.

My advise now, is keep ur bickering to pm messages and resolve them that way if poss. As someone who has managed forums before, i know its tough to express emotions on here. As it is to not take things personally.

You have all done a gr8 job, as have the basic members who help make this gr8 place what it is.

The truth is this forum is still growing, and is developing a name for itself. It needs the team that i am sure u all are to take it there. You have proved u have the tools and the ability, plus skills and knowledge. So lets work on it together. Stronger united and divided ppl.

Now thats my message to the admin

Retailers, these guys let u advertise here out of the goodness of their hearts, making wht seems to be a very nice gesture. They do not have to let you advertise here, and by and large i could see them withdrawing the privelidge if it causes them too much agro.

The admin team here work extremely hard to provide us with the service we enjoy today.

I personally think u should pay to advertise here, but as the SGL said, its not business and does not want to be dealing with taxes etc, which is understandable.

I apologise if i am speaking to the converted and am not pointing this at any business in particular, but see what u can give the forum, rather than take. It is your choice to be here, no one asked you to.

Mey talk over. if i have spoken out of term i apologise. hope i do not get kicked off as i kind of like it here.

Please take this with the good intentions tht it is mean;t. i have never been the type to sit at the back of the bus, i speak my mind. Sorry, now u see where the Tiger part of my name comes from!

seasons greetings

Astro Tiger

Thanks for the positive comments Astro Tiger, it has certainly been exciting watching SGL develop. I think the forum went through a bit of a premenstrual phase a few weeks ago and it was a little fraught sorting out the most effective and fairest policy for retailers but we seem to have worked through this pretty well and things are on an even keel again. We now seem to have a policy which is beneficial for members and retailers alike - we are, after all, mutually dependent on each other.

I'm sure we'll keep on growing and remain a force for good in the astro world :icon_jokercolor:

• 3 months later...

hi martin and hi astro tiger i would like to make a small comment on this if i may .I am still very much a newcomer to sgl but with out a doubt this is the absolute best forum I have ever belonged to and i use the word belong carefully because the truth is in my short time on here I have felt so welcomed it makes me feel like I have a brand new part of my family and i really mean this. and to cover what astro was saying like in all families there are going to be times when its members don't always see eye to eye or agree infact its this very diversity in members which is part of what makes this such a wonderful place to belong too. The Sgl has enriched my enjoyment and my passion for this amazing hobby of ours and has given all of us the chance to enrich our lives with what at the end of the day is the most important thing in life FRIENDS sgl long may you continue and like astro I would be more than happy to help in anyway

regards and thanks pete aka timetraveller

• 2 weeks later...

i thought this thread was long forgotten

but indeed, yes proud to be here

and i mean that. I come and go i know, but unlike many other forums, i keep returning.

This forum is more than just threads and posts, it is where like minded ppl meet and share their knowledge, and jest of course.

I will be @ the kelling star party this coming sept, hope very much to meet some of u there

AT

Archived