Narrowband

I'm looking for a red lantern

emadmoussa

I've also been interested in red lanterns. I have a few antique Miners lamps which would be great if I could find a source for a few red glass globes.

Unless you can find a red signal lantern, you might have to modify an existing battery operated lantern with red film or tape on the lens.

Around November / December, some pound shop's sell battery operated LED light strings, seen them in all blue, all red, and multi colour. I use a red one on the the rear shelf in the car boot; it easily attaches underneath with strips of Velcro. What's nice is that you can just cut to shorten the light string if needed, and it still works.

The lights work for over 24 hours with two AA batteries, and will last even longer if the light string is shortened. These lights are easy and convenient to put up in a vehicle, a tent, and even a toilet facility. A cheap and useful Astronomy accessory.

Edit: The package says super bright, but they are not. :smiley:

Photos of a red light string.

Click on to enlarge.

post-21902-0-48716400-1378148590_thumb.j

post-21902-0-95327900-1378148599_thumb.j

post-21902-0-01624500-1378148615_thumb.j

Hi Emad, have you considered one of these:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lezyne+rear+cycle+light&client=ms-android-orange-gb&hl=en-GB&source=android-browser-type&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=x_AkUofsEM6u7AbI3YGABg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=567&sei=zPAkUrGJIM20hAfi0ICAAg

OK! they are a tad pricey, but they are 'sexy' (that's my opinion).

I have one of the small single LED models (uses 2x CR2032) on my tripod spreader arms so I (or anyone else) does not trip/walk into it.

I bought an led torch the other day for £6 and painted the front with the costs of red nail polish. It is still basically s white torch but now had a hint of pink. I think the only way to sort it out is many layers of red plastic. No idea where to get some. Maybe hobby craft? That or paint the actual led but it is sealed.

Thanks for the tips, guys. It turns out that I won't have much time to order and receive such items before AstroCamp. So probably will use a normal house lamp with red bulb.

"Roxanne, you don't have to put on your red light".

Sorry it was the voices that made me type that.

Archived