Charger details for 12v 900amp battery

Hi everyone,

Does anyone on here have this battery and could tell me what the charger adaptor states on it?

I've misplaced mine.

I have been maplins to try some universal chargers out, but none of them worked.

Does anyone now the amps required? I know it's 12v, but don't know if its, AC/DC or AC/AC, switching or regulated?

If, some lovely person could look at their adaptor,who has the same battery & give the details of it to me, I would be very grateful indeed!

Many thanks.

Hi Chris, The battery is a 17Ah. These usually come with a mains plug in charger rated at 12V DC at 500Ma.

Here is one on their site, should be able to get one online or Maplin. Cheers Carl

Plug in power supply. - 12V 500mA (Portable Power Pack Charger)

Ref: psu-fam-12v-600ma

Plug in power supply. - 12V 500mA (Portable Power Pack Charger)

Input: 230Vac, 50Hz (UK Plug)

Output: 12V DC 500mA (Unregulated)

Hi Carl, thanks for your reply!

The chap in maplins tried a 500ma 12 universal charger and it didn't work. I can't remember if it was regulated unregulated or switched?

Do you know if this will work?

Many thanks mate

Chris

Hi Carl, thanks for your reply!

The chap in maplins tried a 500ma 12 universal charger and it didn't work. I can't remember if it was regulated unregulated or switched?

Do you know if this will work?

Many thanks mate

Chris

A 12V 500ma unregulated should work. Out of interest how did you know it wasnt working? It can take 3 days to charge these.

Hello mate,

On the front of the battery there is a polarity indicator. With said charger, the red led indicated an incorrect connection.

Anyhow, the Maplin man changed the polarity round on the universal charger and the same flashing red led lit.

The battery is fully charged, however I will need to recharge when I get back from camping, the end of this week coming.

Thanks again,

i will take the battery into maplin tomorrow and try out the charger you suggested.

I have a 12v 500 ma charger for my 5 in 1 maplin battery which didn't work either. Again I have no idea precisely how all this works.

cheers mate

chris

Those chargers that are provided with the LA batteries are rubbish. IF batteries are your way forward - have have three - you are *much* better off with a quality battery charger/conditioner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimate-12volt-Battery-Charger-Conditioner/dp/B004TPXD2Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1378100509&sr=1-2&keywords=optimate

Just a bit of info for charging SLA batteries, they can be charged at up to 1/4 of the rated output, so the 17Ah can be charged at anything up to 4Ah. With a low rated charger this will be a slow business, with a correct rated unit this should only take a few hours, depending on the batteries state before charging. A dedicated electronic charger unit, that measures feed back from the battery, that shuts down on completion, leaving only a trickle charging current, is the best, but can be a bit on the expensive side :)

Just a bit of info for charging SLA batteries, they can be charged at up to 1/4 of the rated output, so the 17Ah can be charged at anything up to 4Ah. With a low rated charger this will be a slow business, with a correct rated unit this should only take a few hours, depending on the batteries state before charging. A dedicated electronic charger unit, that measures feed back from the battery, that shuts down on completion, leaving only a trickle charging current, is the best, but can be a bit on the expensive side :)

Thanks John, that's interesting.

Chris

Archived