Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with OAG

valleyman

So, thought I would give some tips if you are thinking about doing so astrophotography and guiding.

Last night was my real first night out with Mount, Scope, Off axis guider, PHD guiding and two cameras.

1st. No point going out and setting this lot up in the dark. Not for the first 5 times at least.

2nd. Choice your target for the night (one will do).

3rd. Getting the scope balanced with all the gear on it is critical.

4th. Polar align as best as you can and do it at dusk so the only star you see through the polar aligner is Polaris.

5th. Now add the weights and the scope in that order and balance is DEC and RA.

6th Do at least a 2 star align, Once you have aligned to the last star make fine adjustments to your Guide scope. It has to be spot on.

7th. Fit the Camera for shooting and camera for guiding and OAG to the Scope and rebalance it all again.

8th. Fit all the cables, that is 2 power cables (one of which is the power cable for the mount fitted before aligning)

Cable from the PHD control box to the Mount guide port. Cable from the PHD guide box to the PC (USB).

Cable from the Shooting Camera to the 12v Power supply box. Cable from the Shooting Camera to the PC (USB)

Cable from the Guide camera to PC (USB)

Cable from 12v Battery to Shooting Camera power supply box.

9th Run the software for Camera capture (Nebulosity), and PHD.

10th Support the cables with clips to the mount legs to keep them off the floor and away from your feet.

11th.Move your scope to your chosen target for the night. You don't have any Ep's fitted now so center the target with the guide scope.

12th Now the tough bit, Find a guide star using your guide Camera PHD and the OAG.

13th. ready to go, Shooting Camera focused, guide camera focused, guide star found and locked onto. Everything perfect after 2 hours of setting up

14th Click "Go" Camera set to take 30 1 minute exposers of Andromeda.

15th. Watch the clouds roll in

16th. Pack up and open the whiskey bottle.

It does get quicker as you become more familiar with the setting up procedure. Especially if you have a permanent set-up. In the future i'd like to setup an obsy around my pier to cut set-up times even further. How did your images come out?

Archived