Sky-Watcher SWA 70° 3.5mm Eyepieces - First Light

emadmoussa

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are made by Barsta, who make also make the visually very similar Celestron Ultima-LX, plus numerous other EPs sold by the Synta brands, including Skywatcher Panaview and Extra Flat lines.

Russell

It's a minefield trying to work out who makes what these days :rolleyes2:

Heres a CN thread from a few years back on Barsta that illustrates this:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4808028/Main/4804959

I reckon there could be multiple manufacturers making some of the designs on behalf of various brands.

Presently it seems true to assume that unless it has TeleVue, Explore Scientific or Pentax (sure there is one other?) on it then the chances are it came out of one of the Chinese factories.

The trick is working out which one, at the moment Barsta seem to be producing the good more budget ones.

I managed to get out a try my 32mm eyepiece for about 40mins tonight. First off there is abberation . Just to make things simple if you have a 2" circle about a 1/4" is effected. I was under no illusion that it would be perfect out to the edge in a 12" dob, so I was not disappointed.

The quality of the lenses is very good & the views I did get to look at were very impressive. Mizar & Alcor was superb. Cassiopeia was nothing short of spectacular. With great definition & colour. M57 was easily defined. M31 was a real pleaser for me. Within seconds I could see the bright centre, which took minutes with my standard plossl's. Unfortunately the cloud rolled in & put pay to the nights viewing.

The eye relief is a joy & the eye cup when extended is just perfect for resting your eyebrow on at the correct distance. The 40 mins of looking through it was no strain on my eye at all. I think you could spend all night viewing and not feel strained.

This is a giant leap forward from my GSO & standard Skywatcher supplied with scope plossl's.

I will be buying another 3 or four of these over the next few months.

Archived