SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Helios Apollo 15x70 or Helios Quantum 4 20x80?

John P

It's really hard to say whether they'd be ok or not, it really depends on your individual facial structure.

The only way is to know is to try them out. If you can find some used, at a decent price, and they don't work out, you could easily re-sell them.

At 61mm my IPD is ok for the Apollos but the bridge of my nose just gets in the way. It's all down to a couple of mm tolerance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the story is that the William optics 10x50 ed are very good but yet again another pair of bins I struggle too use. The ipd is almost there but because the eyepiece are large,I can't comfortably put me eyes against them. I'm sending them back too flo this week. ( sorry guys) so I wanted the apollos 15x70 ......ipd too big, William optics.....eyepiece too big. So in the end I've got some 15x70 strathspey coming ( John says the ipd goes down too 57mm) similar too the Williams but the eyepiece are not as big,so they should be ok. (Gutted there not going to be the same quality as the apollos). Also I bought a pair of opticron 10x50 imagic.....WOW these are good. Really comfortable and light. In daytime the clarity and contrast is stunning. Tried them out at night and I can easily split alberio and see the two countered stars. Also spotted the dumbbell,just after that the clouds rolled in. I'm REALLY chuffed with these and can't wait too get out with them again....the manfrotto monopod and trigger grip head,really does steady the image too see more detail. So the moral of the story is that I must have a really funny face,when it comes too the bins I really wanted but I'm more than happy with the ones I ended up buying....well one set anyway. I still await delivery of the strathspey.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So in the end I've got some 15x70 strathspey coming ( John says the ipd goes down too 57mm)

I hate to say this but, whilst it is true that the Strathspey nominally goes down to 57mm, with my "nasal geometry" 60mm is the limit (my IPD is 67mm, but I tested this for another purpose) - with any luck, your nose will be different!

Oh noooooooo :-) well all I can do is try them. They were supposed to come today via city link but there is a bit of a problem. Emailed John and he is chasing them up. If and only if these don't suit, I'm going to have my face altered...haha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after what has seemed like an eternity, my new Helios Apollo 15x70 binoculars arrived yesterday. I have just unpacked them and first impressions are that they are excellent. They just ooze quality.

All I need now are clear skies :grin:

Well, after what has seemed like an eternity, my new Helios Apollo 15x70 binoculars arrived yesterday. I have just unpacked them and first impressions are that they are excellent. They just ooze quality.All I need now are clear skies :grin:

Have you had the chance to try them out yet. I'm thinking about these so I'm getting as much info on them and reading up before I part with a lot of money.

Have you had the chance to try them out yet. I'm thinking about these so I'm getting as much info on them and reading up before I part with a lot of money.

I spent an hour under the stars tonight trying them out, and comparing them against my Celestron 15x70 bins, and can tell you the Apollo's won easily!

Under my very light-polluted skies, I saw M13 for the first time, and the Andromeda Galaxy seemed (to my untrained eyes) more defined in the Apollo's.

In my opinion, they are worth every penny. I see them as an investment as I can't see me parting with them anytime in the next 30 years or so :grin:

Archived