Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C6R - Moving back in to RefractorVille

After trying a variety of different scopes - most recent being a C8 then an Explore 152 Refractor, followed by a C9.25, I felt the call to return to Refractor Ville. I started purusing the online ads and forums and digging out the old Meade and Celestron Catalogues looking for my next big gun.

I had almost talked myself into the $2,000 Explore 127mm Apo - but at the last minute, noticed some of the accessories becoming optional extras. I also wanted to try the new VX Mount because the CGEM had proven too heavy to easily throw into the car for outings. I saw a package with the VX and The C6R for $1299 and decided that seemed like a pretty nice deal. If the big achro didn't please me, I can move it on and keep the VX.

I read some good reviews on the optics of the C6R and reasoned that it had to be just a little more pleasing than the shorter and more CA prone ES152 (which by the way was killer on deep sky) which blotted its copy book on Jupiter. Even with a Baader fringe killer it wasn’t a great view

Nothing to be impressed about when unboxing the big achro. No 2” diagonal and a standard rack and pinion focuser. Also very front heavy and in need of counter balance.. Still I knew all this already – some very good information online about this long lived scope.

First light saw Vega overhead – I pointed there and saw a very nice picture of the brightest star in my sky.

At low power almost no purple halo at all. I pushed up to 236 to look for diffraction rings. Now a definite purple halo, but a stunning view of Vega as a small white disc with faint rings perfectly concentric.

Wow I was impressed with that. On The C.925 I was barely ever able to see the Airy Disc, not sure why.

Likewise with the ES152 I never did see an Airy disc,

The double double – gorgeous little white discs with equally separated dark space between them – all four easily in the same FOV. Really lovely.

2nd and 3rd light saw a stunning view of The Veil – Eastern and Western (I drifted over to find both sections) with an OIII filter. A gorgeous view! Best for last – while looking at M13 and trying to decide how resolved it was (very nicely resolved in fact) I noticed an object down to the left. I looked across and realised I did need to use averted vision – but it was the edge on galaxy which appears in so many astro photos of M13.

Now I have looked for that view in many scopes and dismissed it as a photographic only view.

But here it was – easy to see with no filtering - using a 32mm Celestron Ultima LX – giving 37.5x and 1.9 degree FOV.

I made a few changes to improve the basic nature of the scope. I relocated the heavy metal dew shield to the back of the OTA as a counerweight. I replaced the focuser with a JMI Event Horizon EV3R and used an Orion Flex Dew Shield as a sliding dew shield which is both very light and much longer than the original dew shield. I also put an accessory rail on top to use as a handle when setting up the scope.

I’m really liking this scope more and more – but I have not pointed it at a planet! So looking forward to see what the CA is like on Jupiter – it’s the litmus test for a refractor. I don’t mind CA as long as it does not dominate.

post-9889-0-09389200-1377935699_thumb.jp

post-9889-0-93960500-1377935765_thumb.jp

post-9889-0-39453100-1377935883_thumb.jp

Sounds great and thanks for the review.

One of my clubmates has a C6R among his collection of telescopes, he rates it highly, but admits it's undermounted, sadly I've never looked through it.

One of the things I like about refractors is the 'tighter' stars they generally give.

Please come back when you can with a Jupiter report, thanks.

Regards, Ed.

Nice report James, I've had a helios and now have a skywatcher variant of the

same scope and must confess they are a great scope to use. They really do give

some superb views, I generally use it as my planetary scope. I look forward to reading

how you think it performs against Jupiter.

Kathleen

Nice report and congratulations on the new big refractor :smiley:

I've owned a few 6" F/8's, mostly like yours and one Meade AR6, and had a lot of fun with them. I used to use a device callled a Chromacor to remove the CA and SA and the scopes performed like ED doublets then :grin:

Nice scopes even in their standard form though :smiley:

Nice report and congratulations on the new big refractor :smiley:

I've owned a few 6" F/8's, mostly like yours and one Meade AR6, and had a lot of fun with them. I used to use a device callled a Chromacor to remove the CA and SA and the scopes performed like ED doublets then :grin:

Regarding the Chromacor, did you notice any odd effects from eye positioning? The few people I've spoken with that have used them reported a 'swimming' effect as the eye moved dictating perfect positioning to keep the CA at bay.... any truth to this?

Nice review of the C6R by the way, I was offered one before going for my 102ED and had to practically break my own finger to turn away from that much glass :). I think a 6" frac will be my next scope purchase down the line, you're right that even the achromats make spectacular deep-sky scopes. The weight though... :shocked:

Regarding the Chromacor, did you notice any odd effects from eye positioning? The few people I've spoken with that have used them reported a 'swimming' effect as the eye moved dictating perfect positioning to keep the CA at bay.... any truth to this?

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll just post a link to some thoughts I posted a while back on the forum about the Chromacor:

I did catch a quick view of Saturn last night with the big rerfractor

It was very low in the sky but I did see a reasonable picture of it with natural creamy colour.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments and yes to the question about bears -there are plenty around

luckily I have managed to avoid them.

My Canadian friends tend to laugh at me because they're so used to the wildlife they don't even consider it.

I

Archived