SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacking wide angle-widefields

Hi

Just tried stacking 8x15sec subs shot with an unmotorized DSLR with 28mm lens. DSS refused to take more than 1 sub it even though it detected stars. I heard somewhere that DSS wont take eggy stars. Is there a technique for this or should I try an alternative program for stacking?

Thanks

Here's another thread that might help: http://stargazerslou...ck#entry2006376

It looks like DSS just doesn't like 'eggy' stars. You could try going through your subs and throwing out the ones that show too much star trailing, but with only 8 subs that might not leave you with any more than 1 image to stack anyway!

If you don't want to use your NEQ6 for your DSLR shots, then you could reduce your exposure time and increase your ISO setting. It will introduce more noise into your subs but it should help to reduce the star trailing. Also take lots more subs to give yourself and DSS better odds at getting enough subs to stack.

Good luck.

Thanks Bryan! I managed to stack it once. Now I have not been able to re-stack it again since then due to the same error. Managed to save a working tiff however. Sometimes I can't be bothered to spend half an hour loading the NEQ-6 and gear into my car, when I can just grab my tripod and camera and zip out for a quickie :) Pretty satisfied for 2 minutes of data and shoddy processing skills!

gallery_26290_2090_444056.png

Archived