Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ES 6.7mm VS 7mm Nagler

DaveGarland

Hi Dave, don't know about the ES, but the Nag would be sharp to the edge in an F5 scope, one of the benefits of the Nagler, and other TV eyepieces.

Only downside is the eyerelief, most observers, including myself, find it no problem, but spectacle wearers cannot see the whole 82 degree field.

Regards, Ed.

Ah ok. That shouldn't be a problem for me. Although I'm short sighted I always wear contact lenses when observing. I never have any problems with this. I don't like the "goldfish bowl" feeling I get with glasses and contacts give me a far more natural view of the sky. On nights I have been out with my glasses though I've always lifted them to look through the eyepiece and just focused to suit my eyesight.

I have the ES 6.7mm. It is sharp right up to the near edge, maybe 5% you might see some loss of focus. The eye relief is 'ok', moderately tight. It shows some degree of false colour, a yellowing on the edges of bright objects and on the field stop you see a little blue. I can see this yet I've had others look through my ES eyepieces at the moon and they can't, until I tell them then they can.

I noticed on the longer length ES eyepieces that there is a little spherical aberration too, I think that's what it is anyway. When you put the moon full disc in the centre its a circle and with one edge on the field stop its a subtle ellipse. I'm sure someone can name that aberration :) This is probably evident across the range but in the 6.7mm I was always seeing things at quite high magnifications so didn't notice this, even in the longer ones you have to go hunting to spot these issues im pointing out. I'm being very critical and be aware that the sum of issues im pointing out equate to probably a 5-10% performance difference between this and the Nagler (which will also have some issues im sure). The ES does have very good contrast and a far superior view, in my opinion, to say the 7mm Luminos from Celestron.

I believe even the best TV can show some blue on the actual field stop. For me I found the eyepiece fine in use and for the price they are simply amazing value for money, amazing bang for the buck as the saying goes.

I'd just expect the Nagler to be better as it's double the price or more.

I think it's great Russell. I couldn't push myself to the price of an ethos so got that one instead. It's a bit of a grenade to hold but the views to me look great which is why I'm considering the ES 6.7 over the Nagler 7. In honesty I can afford either in this case but if the difference in view is negligible then the £110 difference in price would buy me a nifty fifty for my camera :)

I noticed on the longer length ES eyepieces that there is a little spherical aberration too, I think that's what it is anyway. When you put the moon full disc in the centre its a circle and with one edge on the field stop its a subtle ellipse. I'm sure someone can name that aberration :) ...

This is simply that angular magnification is not constant across the field. It is a common feature of wide angle eyepieces but is something that is absent from modern Tele Vue eyepieces such as the Ethos and Delos models.

The 6.7mm ES82 has tight eye relief, but the 4.7mm is even tighter.

As referred to, the 7mm nagler is pin sharp in my F4.9 scope, although the eye relief, as pointed out, may be a bit tight for some (does not concern myself though). I also like it, as it is compact, has an 82 degree field - great for containing open and globular clusters, is light weight and complements my additional set of nagler T6's.

Purchased mine second hand, yet there are currently some good prices on T.V products either new and reflected in second hand markets to.

Dave,

I have had the Meade 6.7mm and the Nagler 7mm, the latter replaced the former. I did had them at the same time though and I would say in my fastest scope which is only F5.26, the Nagler was better for sharpness of edge. As Graham pointed out it is that last 5% that Televue squeeze out that last drop of sharpness that other seem not to. The Meade is a very good eyepiece though as I am sure the ExSc 6.7mm is as well.

For me it was a worth while change but it is not for everyone as the cost is much higher.

Alan

Well in a break with normal tradition, the clouds on delivery day disappeared after dark :D Yeah I'm very pleased with it. As mentioned the eye relief is a bit tight but I soon got the hang of that. But then the views were great, and that's what it's all about isn't it. My favourite view of the night had to be M13. It just seems that the two were made for each other :) Also quite nice to see were M27 and M57. I'll look forward to many more nights ahead. Thanks all for your input.

Dave.

Ok I've finally made my mind up. I've ordered the Nagler AND bought a nifty fifty. Well I don't want to live with regret lol ;)

The Nagler is due for delivery on Monday so roll on Oct 9th :D

Cool and on the plus side, if you turn the NF around, you can use it as a very good magnifier for making sure there's no dust in your EPs! Call it an unexpected Brucie Bonus. :)

Russell

Archived