SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sct cleaning

I took my celestron 8se out a few nights back with a friend and after a while a fair amount of dew had built up on the front lense (forgot the correct name)

Not a problem as I was just about to pack up. However before I did I showed my friend why the viewing had gone downhill. Out if the blue he wiped it with his finger and said 'oh yeah'. Idiot!

Now I have a cm long smudge on the lense. I don't dare try to clean it as I don't want to damage it, what are my options??

This stuff is great:

http://www.firstligh...nder-fluid.html

I'm sure for now that the finger mark wont harm your views. But if it does,maybe a wipe with a lint free cloth and a dab of warm soapy (washing up liquid) water will do. Dont rub on the corrector plate too hard. Im not sure how thick it is and the last thing you want to do is break it. Before cleaning it, make sure there is no hard grit on the plate. This could cause scratches if wiped away. You need to use something like a rocket blower to get rid of any grit.

It will have very liitle if any effect on the views through your scope. If you really need to get rid use the Baader Wonder Fluid that Paul suggested. I would most certainly not use the soapy water, as this may well addd a few more streaks etc. that will get you stressing about other marks,

Ian

Just clean it. That front bit is a substantial corrector plate.

Look at it this way: You run rubber blades with detergent, salt, grit and god knows what else on across the screen of your car and you are sat in that fast moving vehical trusting your life to it. Afterwards you most likly think how much clearer and better it is.

Not saying attack it with wire wool but it is glass, your windscreen is glass, your windows at home are glass. My specticles are glass - they get "cleaned" on a section of whatever shirt I am wearing 10-15 times a day, they are not marked in any way and the AR coating is 100% intact and I have had these lens for longer then I suspect you have had the scope.

Hi I once had a problem with my LX90 when I set up one night, the front corrector looked like it had been attacked by a manure spreader. How this happened is a complete mystery. When I got home the next day I gently washer it down with a soft lint free clother and a touch of washing up liquid, I had no problem whatsoever with marks on the glass, it looked brand new. The wonder fluid may be bees knees but I can't complain about the way I did it.

Dave

Another vote for Baader Wonder Fluid. Used with the special cloth it dissolves greasy finger smudges and general dirt. I use it on my SCT and also my MAK with no problem at all.

As you correctly said, yes they have a special coating on the front glass of the ota, but the Wonder Fluid is the best thing as it not only does a damn good job, but is also delicate as well so as to not damage the coating on the glass.

...... Although I was under the impression that there is a special coating on the glass

There is - the XLT Starbright coatings.

The Baader Fluid and the micro fibre cloth are designed to clean multi-coated optics though. I've used it with great success on eyepiece lenses, refractor objectives and cassegrain scope corrector's. Follow the instructions carefully though and spray the fluid onto the cloth, not directly onto the lens.

Archived