SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cygnus Loop: Now in colour

Uranium235

Cor blimey, this one has been hard to process. Its taken me about 6 hours to get this even close to being right. Again the problem is the refusal of the panes to stitch together properly because of curvature. Hopefully this wont happen again because Ive now got a new M48-T2 adapter on its way to replace the one that fell victim to cold welding - which then forced me to use another adapter which is 2mm too short.

So, thats it for this year as I'd now like to move on to something different, possibly Andromeda or the Heart - we shall see!

NGC6995, NGC6960, Pickerings Wisp

18x600 Ha + OIII x2panes Mapped as Ha/OIII/OIII, Synth green

80ED (0.85x), Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

9619128246_ed9b57c02d_b.jpg

Fullsize Here:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3691/9619128246_d7bc86d9d5_o.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimby that's stunning!! The OIII makes all the difference.

Cheers :)

I think OIII is a must for this one as it adds quite a lot of additional structure. Maybe i could push it a bit more, but I would have to be careful so not to wreck it.

The O111 really is a different animal on this target. Have you tried presenting Ha/O111 combined but in monochrome? The sheer contrast and extent of the Loop bursts out when you do this.

Olly

No problem Olly, can do that as I processed this one as LRGB, so ive still got the luminance master. I'll take a look a it when i get home later, well... as soon as ive fixed up this bloomin vesa mount for the new telly, easier said than done when your drill is too feeble for the job!

Thanks all for the supportive comments :)

I have been working on putting together a standard HOO colour version - as well as the mono version which was created by combining the Ha and OIII masters, then discarding the colour information.

9625725430_bbdf7e9867_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

http://farm4.staticf...1cafa295b_o.jpg

9622543639_38b3e72f6a_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

http://farm6.staticf...42621d25a_o.jpg

Excellent!! :eek:

Thats a fabualous image , are you working on the other bits, I hope so!

Cheers! But im sot sure about expanding the area, this one cost me a months worth of clear sky. Though I do have the new adapter now, so I might run a few tests to see whether the new FR spacing distance puts an end to my mosaic problems.

I'll probably end up doing it again next year :) especially if I have some new optics in place. Though I may keep one 80ED, becuase the 383 seems to bin better than the 314 did at that FL (510mm), which might prove useful for LRGB work.

Cheers! But im sot sure about expanding the area, this one cost me a months worth of clear sky. Though I do have the new adapter now, so I might run a few tests to see whether the new FR spacing distance puts an end to my mosaic problems.

I'll probably end up doing it again next year :) especially if I have some new optics in place. Though I may keep one 80ED, becuase the 383 seems to bin better than the 314 did at that FL (510mm), which might prove useful for LRGB work.

It will still be there next year!

Absolutely lovely, I gather you're very pleased with it - I would be too :).

I do think you could expand it a bit.. it covers such a huge area after-all :).

Absolutely lovely, I gather you're very pleased with it - I would be too :).

I do think you could expand it a bit.. it covers such a huge area after-all :).

Im fairly pleased with it, though I do have the feeling it was my least rubbishy effort (it took many attempts!). Processing was harder than it should have been, so there was a bit of cropping involved to cover up the ugly bits.... and believe me, they were ugly! :)

Anyway, its all lessons learnt for the next time, including:

1) Be more generous with overlaps in mosaics on large chip cameras

2) Always focus using 2/3rds method

3) Keep an eye on that 80ED focuser, it does not like heavy gear!

Im fairly pleased with it, though I do have the feeling it was my least rubbishy effort (it took many attempts!). Processing was harder than it should have been, so there was a bit of cropping involved to cover up the ugly bits.... and believe me, they were ugly! :)

Anyway, its all lessons learnt for the next time, including:

1) Be more generous with overlaps in mosaics on large chip cameras

2) Always focus using 2/3rds method

3) Keep an eye on that 80ED focuser, it does not like heavy gear!

Very true. 2) needs more publicity than it generally gets. Le'ts hear it for Peter Psychobilly!

Olly

Just measured the new FR spacing distance = 55.97mm... just 0.03mm out, I think thats close enough :)

(55mm + 1mm to account for filter and ccd window)

Just need some clear sky to test it, a quick mini-mosaic. Perhaps the Cocoon to give it a good starfield.

But overall, for the first serious project with the 383L+ I feel it is indeed a leap forward from the 314L+ and a much more efficient use of time (as I can frame multiple targets). To image the same area with the 314 would have taken 8-10 panes, and at 2 hours per pane, per channel it would have taken a minimum toal of 32 hours. The 383 gobbled it up in just 12.

So looking forward to Orion this year :D

Archived