Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200p vs sw ed80

The_PSY3NTIST

I was feeling the same and got an ed80 with focal reducer used it loved but sold it and went back to my 200p. Great if you have an Atik camera but with my canon 350d and being used for wide field shots it got little use prefer my 200p. Wish I had got a HEQ5 instead.

cloud cloud go away come again another day

Mark I just checked out your blog-fantastic images!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi buddy, the ed80 is worth having for sure or maybe the 150p Rik uses that and gets some nice shots a lighter scope would help with the eq5 but the heq5 second hand might be a better option ;)

The Heq5 would be nice but its a little out of reach at the moment blah. If I get the ed80 I can use it on my eq5 till I save for a heq5. The other option of a 150p does sound appealing because I love the diffraction spikes you get from a newt, I know they can be added in but for me that's just cheating and adding something that wasn't captured. Mmmm why is it always so hard to choose a scope :p. Need to find the weight difference between the 150pds and the 200p

Cheers

Have you considered the 130pds from skywatcher as an idea. I had a look at one last night really nice and takes great images. On your eq5 it would be great and give you about the same fov as the ed80 with a coma corrector. That is what I am going to do now I have had a good look at one.

Nooo don't sell your 200p sob sob :(

I'm rotating by the day now as whether to keep the 200p and move the mirror up or go for the ed80. Then every fourth day I decide on a 150pds. Mmmmmm. Still can't get my head around the fact that aperture doesn't matter with ap. why did they send a 2.4 meter scope up to space when they could have sent a 80mm apo up lol.

If you sell the 200p you will not be able to capture the nice close up shots of galaxys with the ed80. So my advice is at all costs keep the 200p what ever else you decide to do. Its up to you but I think if you did you will regret it in the long run. You cant move the mirror up it wont work I thought of that so why not get a skywatcher 130pds and have the best of both worlds. Or if your heart is set on the ed80 bite the bullet and get one. I did and sold it a year later but held on to my 200p I am very glad I did not sell it.

The ed80 is a great telescope no doubt but most of the stuff I have imaged is covered with the 200p. The ed80 gave me lovely wider field images and would be fantastic with a CCD camera but with an SLR camera the 200p has it covered. Having both is a luxury but if I was forced to have one with my SLR camera it would be the 200p.

Hope you get the scope of your dreams which ever one you decide to go for.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi buddy, the ed80 is worth having for sure or maybe the 150p Rik uses that and gets some nice shots a lighter scope would help with the eq5 but the heq5 second hand might be a better option ;)

So after much thought and a thousand changes of mind I've settled with the 150PDS. Sacrifice of 50mm but hey ho. Thanks for the input :) hopefully my eq5 st4 mod will last me a few more moons till I finally get round to saving for a Heq5.

Thanks

So after much thought and a thousand changes of mind I've settled with the 150PDS. Sacrifice of 50mm but hey ho. Thanks for the input :) hopefully my eq5 st4 mod will last me a few more moons till I finally get round to saving for a Heq5.

Thanks

The 150 is a great imaging scope and @ F5 about 2/3 stop faster than the ED 80@ F7.5. Use the SW 0.9 coma corrector and you will imaging at F4.5 .  Happy imaging.

A.G

Use the SW 0.9 coma corrector and you will imaging at F4.5 . Happy imaging.

A.G

Thanks :) I've just been on FLO expecting it to be more expensive than that. Selling the 200p will fund that little fella. Just had some plasterboard delivered today to board the warm room out... I'm looking forward to this winter now :)

Yes on both counts or better still use eqmods pulse guiding really is a great bit of kit and Tom makes them really well, the age of craftsmanship is not dead :-) I love mine to bits very accurate go to so easy to find stuff now and you can do mosaics with Eqmosaic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

Archived