SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cables, cables everywhere. And it's started to rain!

Last night I snuck out for a bit of quick imaging practice (still working everything out) and it dawned on me just how many cables this hobby requires.

Where possible I have cable tied and heat-wrapped leads that go together, but it doesn't change the fact that cables are everywhere. Last night it began to spit so I had to quickly pack up all the bits. Ordinarily I take my time and each wire goes gets wound up and goes in its own labelled grip seal bag - no tangles next time.

Last night I chucked everything in the box and went home. This morning - carnage! Everything was tangled like I had confused astronomy with sea fishing.

It takes me ages to put all the cables away in their own bags but it seems to be worth it. Has anyone got a better way? Note that I am in the field each night as I have only a postage stamp of sky between the trees in my garden.

Cheers

I made up a wiring "loom" that feeds down into a plastic box with USB hubs / power supplies etc. When I am done - detach the loom from the camera/guider/dew heaters/etc. and coil it in the box.

Works well for me.

Cheers

Ian

I made up a wiring "loom" that feeds down into a plastic box with USB hubs / power supplies etc. When I am done - detach the loom from the camera/guider/dew heaters/etc. and coil it in the box.

Works well for me.

Cheers

Ian

Works with a single scope setup Ian but for different types of scope not so successful I found.

I have made up a wiring loam it 5m long, used self-amalgamating tape to hold the leads together, if a usb lead fails just snip it and pull bits out, adding a new lead wrap a bit more tape round, unlike cable ties there's not sharp bits to rip your skin open.....the wooden bit clip into terry clips mounted on the tripod legs.....

DSC_9821.jpg

Works with a single scope setup Ian but for different types of scope not so successful I found.

With a bit of planning.... I use a WO 98 FLT with a guidescope - or a 10" RCT with OAG and AO. Same loom works for both of them.

Like I said - works for me. I can leave my mount and OTA(s) - with the loom and electrics box attached under a couple of covers. Olly's puppy heating pads keep it all dry. Whip off the covers - attach the image train - and I am up and running in 10 minutes.

Well - I would be if these clouds ever shove off!

Would prefer an Obsy - but not an option for me.

Cheers

Ian

Meant to also say - if the weather turns really bad - off comes the OTA, loom and 'leccy box - and packed away. Putting it back on is no problem - just take the loom out of the box - attach to mount at pre-defined points - slap on the OTAs - hook the loom up to the RA axis (I hang it from there) - and away I go.

Is it as good as an Obsy? No. But it beats re-wiring the whole lot every time.

Let's see - Power to mount. Hand controller to mount plus serial connection from hand controller to USB Hub. AO Power plus serial. Camera power plus USB. Guider to USB plus guider to mount. Two times dew heaters. Oh yeah - filter wheel. Electronic focuser.

I make that thirteen cables.

Yep - managing cables makes a big difference.

Well - that's my take on it.

Cheers

Ian

Last night I snuck out for a bit of quick imaging practice (still working everything out) and it dawned on me just how many fecking cables this hobby requires.

Cheers

Where on earth do you find dark skies in our neck of the woods ?

Dave

I don't! Best I can do is find a place where I can see no lights directly. What I want to do is find somewhere safe and secluded around Rye that I can drive down to short notice and set up. Apparently it's the darkest skies in Kent. Short of driving to Norfolk or Wales it's the best we can do.

Rother Valley is apparently a good camp site if you wanted to stay over.

Archived