Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera on a weather balloon

That was very interesting. Just like you see on those TV shows when they do it. Great idea using the mobile phone to find its location too, as long as it doesn't come down on a road/railway, in a lake or in the Sea. Did it have a parachute built in or did you rely on really good padding!

I presume you require special permission/authorisation to lauch such a device into civil aviation airspace?

yes you need to fill in a daap1919 form from CAA, Had a parachute attached, my biggest worry was the mobile having no reception where it landed, everything just went right on the day. It was great fun and nerve wracking at the same time.

Fantastic. Did you organise/create this yourself or did you use some sort of kit. I'd love to give this a go but living 10 miles off the coast I have a feeling it would probably end up going for a swim!

Well done Viper!

Should have replaced the camera with a GoPro in High def mode ;)

I'd be worried about it coming down in a built-up area and causing a road accident or something. Glad it all turned out OK though.

Brilliant! Got a shock when the caption came up saying it was launched from Hamilton - the town I was born in. I recognised Strathclyde Loch and the M74 from the footage, but struggled to pick out anything else - I suppose it's changed a bit since I moved away 24 years ago. Anyway, great work - glad it landed before reaching the North Sea.

Archived