Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense Accessory

I cannot remember the last firmware download I done, after having a double hernia operation I have not been able to lift my baby outside, I now have a split hernia so having to have re surgery, so another month or more. The wife and the son have offered to take it outside, i thank them dearly, but not a chance in hell will I allow them to lift my scope, i'd never forgive them if they dropped it. ;-)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot remember the last firmware download I done, after having a double hernia operation I have not been able to lift my baby outside, I now have a split hernia so having to have re surgery, so another month or more. The wife and the son have offered to take it outside, i thank them dearly, but not a chance in hell will I allow them to lift my scope, i'd never forgive them if they dropped it. ;-)

That's a nice scope - I can see why you love it so much.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, im from CHILE... we have very clear skies here..!!!!

I have a NEXSTAR 8SE OTA mounted in a CG5

I want to buy a SS but i see there are some problems for the CG5, am i right?

Another problem is that Celestron is SELLING the splitter... not giving it for free with the SS... do i need one for the CG5 ???

I really need to be sure on this because of the distance to Chile... it wont be easy to return the SS and lost a lot of money in shipping

I use my 8SE and CG5 for astroimaging... should i use the SS for that or not?

Please your advise !! thanks in advance !!

Hi and welcome to SGL. The SS is used to do the initial alignment of the mount only. This replaces the manual 2-star or 3-star align you do at the moment. After that it plays no part in the operation of the scope/mount. I don't own a CG5 but I think others have had problems using the SS with a CG5 and the old Celestron splitter. Celestron have made a new splitter which works with the SS/CG5 combination. Hopefully someone with this combination will add a comment to help you.

I have a advanced vx mount and a starsense. I am trying to figure it out as my alignment is off. 

I am new to this and wondering if their is someone with the same setup can guide me though the alignment procedure. Even though it seems simple enough

I am having problems.

My next time out I am going to attempt to re calibrate it, but the last time out I was way off. Wondering what I am doing wrong with this setup.

Thanks Dave !!

I know the SS its just to make the first alignment... but i wonder if its THAT good to, after that, make some AP

or should i spend my money in a Autoguiding cam and a 80mm finder (for the cam) ???

Any answer fro my last question??... please???

"but i wonder if its THAT good to, after that, make some AP

or should i spend my money in a Autoguiding cam and a 80mm finder (for the cam) ??? (this option is way to much expensive)"

Any answer fro my last question??... please???

"but i wonder if its THAT good to, after that, make some AP

or should i spend my money in a Autoguiding cam and a 80mm finder (for the cam) ??? (this option is way to much expensive)"

The SS will not align the scope any better than you could do manually. It just does it automatically for you. It won't make the mount track any better for AP - that's a different issue altogether. I'm not an AP expert but if you want to do long exposures for DSO then you will probably need to use guiding. If funds are limited it may make more sense to spend your money on the autoguiding side rather than the SS. I hope that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Having an issue with my Starsense.

The manual shows:

Press ALIGN, then select STARSE NSE AUTO

and press

ENTER .

Press ENTER to select Location by City.

Choose your country and city by scrolling

through the menus provided. Alternatively, you

can enter your longitude and latitude by pressing

the

OPTION button on the lower left of your

hand control’s keypad. Press

ENTER

to move the underline cursor over to the

next value.

Once the location is entered, StarSense will check

However pressing neter or Option does not take me to the menu where I can enter a position, nor can I seem to be able to enter a time or date?

Is the manual wrong (as they can be) or is my handset at fault?

OK, here's a strange one.

I have the AVX mount and have aquired a Celestron GPS.

If I use it with the NexStar handset and enable the GPS function it shows a correct poistion and correct time with DST.

If I do the same with the StarSense handset, yes I can go into a time/position window via the Menu button, it shows the correct position but not the time corrected to DST!

I am going to try and report this to Celestron and see if they take note.

I did read on their website that if you have Starsense you do not need a GPS input, yet there is one....

My iPhone deleted half my post :-

Was ment to say something like , I'm sure it still can depend on the gps with my mount , ( default mount that comes with 6se/8se because

when I go to check sources on the menu bit , it's acknowledged the gps unit with the tick next to it thought it saved me putting all the times and stuff in? Because before , it still had the date / time etc from the last time if took it out

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post to stargazer lounge.

It took me a while to get more proficient with the SS. The important things for me were to make sure I have a large enough unobstructed sky for doing the alignment. Once I had that, then it was important to calbrate the SS alignment to the telescope eyepiece.

Once I did that, my goto objects come in pretty much dead center.

I am using a Nexstar 6SE. I also have a Neximage Burst and have been taking a few pictures with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I am new to this site so if I have posted this in the wrong place, please let me know.....

I recently bought the Celestron SS and tried it out a few nights ago. The setup was simple enough but when it came to doing the alignment I had some difficulties.

I have a Celestron C10-NGT on a CG5 mount. I selected Vega as the calibration star but could never locate it.

So, here is my question. Can I use Orion's dual finder scope mounting bracket with using the SS on one side and my 50mm spotter scope on the other side of the bracket to give me more field of view? Or will using the dual bracket screw up the alignment because it will sit at a 45° angle?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I am new to this site so if I have posted this in the wrong place, please let me know.....

I recently bought the Celestron SS and tried it out a few nights ago. The setup was simple enough but when it came to doing the alignment I had some difficulties.

I have a Celestron C10-NGT on a CG5 mount. I selected Vega as the calibration star but could never locate it.

So, here is my question. Can I use Orion's dual finder scope mounting bracket with using the SS on one side and my 50mm spotter scope on the other side of the bracket to give me more field of view? Or will using the dual bracket screw up the alignment because it will sit at a 45° angle?

Thanks in advance.

I think that should be ok. The important thing is to make sure you always put the SS back in the same place you calibrated it. Some people leave the SS permanently attached but I have removed and replaced in the RDF bracket and the calibration is still good. Also the SS rotates in its mounting if you loosen the screws (see the manual) so you could rotate it back to a vertical position. I don't think the angle affects the way it works as the calibration step 'remembers' the orientation of the SS relative to your telescope. Hope that helps.

• 5 months later...

Am I right in assuming that after October last year, no one has had any problems with their Starsense?

Well, if anyone is still around, I may need some help with mine soon.

I just bought a Nexstar Evolution 6 and Celestron's website says the Starsense is now compatible with the mount.

So, I ordered one, but as the instructions do not mention the Evolutions,  I assume this is an older model with outdated firmware. 

I need to find what firmware I have on the handset and camera, I assume ( again)  I just plug everything in and turn it on and the versions are shown at startup?

I have downloaded Celestrons CFM, but can't do anything yet because Celestron are still using the old RS232 cables and I don't have a cable yet. Its on order though, but luckily, I have the right connection on my laptop. The usb ports are V.2 though.

I did read someone only had success updating the camera firmware after using a USB 3 port. Is this right?

Allan

Has anyone come across any means of attaching a Starsense to a Skywatcher telescope? I wanted to try the Starsense on my 120ED but cannot see anyway to do this.

Peter

You can attach it to pretty much any scope as is the mount that needs to be compatible.

The starsense only works with celestron mounts not skywatcher as it's celestron software which runs the starsense.

Archived