Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense Accessory

Hi all

Doses anybody know how to update the starsense camera, i have downloaded the CFM manager and i have installed the upto date firmware on the hand controler but once it has downloaded 5 of 5 packages it then says HC update complete seeking camera then it says cant find SSA camera! No update performed, i have done everything what celestron support has asked me to do but still no luck i have the telescope conected to my laptop via a RS232 cable to USB and the starsense camera conected to the laptop via a micro USB.

Thanks

I have had the exact same problem when I tried updating the firmware Dave. Still looking for a solution.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the SSA without the skysync.  If that doesn't work join TeamCelestron.com and ask there.

What should happen is that the HC display counts down and before it gets to 0 it should have found the camera and moved onto the Press ALIGN to align prompt.

The exact sequence of messages on the HC at start up is useful to work out what is happening.

Chris

Try the SSA without the skysync.  If that doesn't work join TeamCelestron.com and ask there.

What should happen is that the HC display counts down and before it gets to 0 it should have found the camera and moved onto the Press ALIGN to align prompt.

The exact sequence of messages on the HC at start up is useful to work out what is happening.

Chris

Chris - he's trying to update the firmware for the Starsense - not just get aligned.

Hi chris what do you mean without the skysync ? Sorry to be thick I am new to this

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can you find out what version of firmware the system is using?

Radec

All this talk of daisy chaining devices in various combinations makes me wonder if the SSA is working at all.

Does the camera work under normal use?  If the SS HC can't connect to the camera under normal use then it's going to have trouble sending the command to turn the camera USB port on at update time.

HC version 1.07 is out of date, it's currently 1.10.14008 and Camera version 1.02.13343 - I think.

This new version, with a new version of the Celestron CFM program, is available on the Celestron site, support I suppose.

If the SS works normally and the HC can be updated - and it's worth going to the latest - and the only problem is that you can't connect to the camera then definitely join TeamCelestron.com and let the developers know.  Something that may help is to try a different USB socket on your PC for the SSA Camera.

Chris

Thanks chris

The star sense doses work but it would freeze sometimes, I contacted celestron support and they gave me a list of things to try which I done and upgraded my HC then I tried to update the camera using the micro USB cable this is when I found out I could not update the camera.

HC version 1.07 is out of date, it's currently 1.10.14008 and Camera version 1.02.13343 - I think.

This new version, with a new version of the Celestron CFM program, is available on the Celestron site, support I suppose.

Chris

Absolutely correct Chris - I just checked mine which I updated only last week & those are the current versions.

Radec

Hi All,

I just looked on the Celestron website under support and it says the following.

CFM 1.7.3310

Starsense updates November 7th 2013 Release

CFM: 1.7.3310

HC: 01.07.13311

Camera: 01.01.13285

How do i get the latest version of CFM and the firmwares for the HC and Camera can antone put a link on here.

Thanks for all your help 

Just to check, but when updating the firmware, do you make sure that you are holding down the two bottom left hand buttons on the hand controller when you turn the telescope on?  I think you need to do this in order for the Computer to see the controlled / camera.

I tried the public CFM today.

If you download what's on the web site, unzip it and run the CFM.jar program it starts, phones home and announces that there is a later version.

It downloads that (with your permission) and you unzip it and run it.

This will also phone home and downloads the update files for Nexstar plus, the starsense HC and starsense camera.  What you end up with on your system is the latest HC and camera versions.

That's all with no HC or camera connected.  If they are connected and turned on it should connect and update both.  It will always update the HC, even if it's the same version but will check the camera version and only update it if the new version is newer.

This isn't ideal but it's all still in development, both the software for the HC and camera and the CFM updater.  The process isn't helped by using Java with the intent that the update process is platform agnostic.

Chris

Hi all AGAIN !!

I am now running CFM 1.7.3325 I went into the CFM file on my laptop then I found a file called packages, I opened this and found a file called SSA I clicked on this and there is a file called SSA_APP_1.2.13343.cfm I think this is the file I need for my camera but getting the computer to put it there is the problem.

I have managed to update the HC firmware using both Linux and windows so it does work. I think the application needs to be improved though - it's not obvious when you use it the first time what it expects you to do.

I give up I have done everything HC is running the latest firmware CFM is running the latest firmware but for some reason the camera will not update, my laptop doses not recognise the camera, all it says is USB devise has not installed properly

I guess thats the reason cfm is not seeing it. Do you have access to another pc to try it on that? Also try swapping your usb leads & ports around. Also try uninstalling the camera from the windows device manager and plugging in again to see if it will reinstall.

Hooray it worked I didnt know I had a USB3 port on the laptop as soon as I put the cable into that port it detected tje camera and installed the new firmware.

Thanks for everyone who helped I would buy you all a drink if I could thanks again

Archived