Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

johnbee

Hi all, I've been 'messing around' with stargazing on and off for donkeys years, but after me and the wife sat outside for a couple of hours watching the perseids meteor shower recently, I decided to try and get a little more enthused, I think we saw more satellites than meteorites though :)

I was given a....don't swear at me please.......Tasco 114mm Newtonian a fair while back and have had odd successes with it but the garbage eypieces don't help much! I've tried collumation to give it a fighting chance but to be honest even with a decent eyepiece i think I am barking at the moon so to speak.

I would love to get myself something half-decent but unfortunately at the moment cash is most definitely an issue. I did think of maybe having a go at a DIY 6" or 8" reflector, but after getting the optics and hardware it would probably be almost as much as buying a decent second-hand one? At least some ideas to put on my 'wish list' would be good :D

Anyhow, I would love to try and get something of a little more quality (which isn't difficult with a Tasco ;)) and try and spend more time getting to know the night sky.

Any thoughts, recommendations are gratefully received.

John

Welcome Johnbee. I'm sure there are many on here who have started with a "Tasco" scope. Trouble is when aperture fever strikes (as it surely will:o), you're doomed.

Good luck with your self build project. Let us know how you get on, and don't be afraid to ask for any advice. There's a wealth of experience here to draw on.

Best wishes and clear skies.

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Hi John, welcome to SGL :)

If you want to look for second hand scope, Astro Buy & Sell is the place http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/index.php Or why not consider saving for something new, like a 6" Dob for £209 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/page/2/ If you could stretch to £279, the 8" dob is a serious piece of kit ;)

Hello John,

a 4.5" is not bad at all, I myself observe a lot with my 5" ;-)

As you say, the eyepieces are one aspect. There are 10£/14€ eyepieces that will make a big difference to the inkluded ones (k/Kellner, h/Huygens?).

The worst Parr of those telescopes, without knowing for sure about yours, is the tripod/mount. The 114/900 usualy come on a shaky alt/az tripod or something like the eq1 or eq2, making it difficult to observe at higher magnifications (if you have a eyepiece for that).

This is where DIY can come in handy. A dobsonian rockerbox mount can be constructed for 4€/3£ (24x48x4000mm wood ~1,20€, two pipe end covers dn100 ~1,80, laminate floor scraps, free at some hardware stores, and felt gliders €0,30, better kitchen counter top and Teflon, and a bunch of drill-tip screws and a center bolt and nut...).

Grinding a mirror takes tens of hours, and for small ones the material alone will cost more then a discount dobsonian. So unless you want to do it just because you want to build it, there's cheaper solutions ;-)

I usualy reccomend a 5.1" heritage as upgrade from small telescopes, but the step up from 4.5" is marginal. As far as deep sky observation is concerned, a 8" will show much, much more and is sometimes sold for 200€ used, 330€ new.

Good luck with your telescope, get some free star charts, stellarium (freeware) helps too... And perhaps a copy of turn left at orion, if you don't have it allready.

welcome, as said above second hand kit is readily available, I picked up a skyliner 200p dob with some extras including a telrad for £212, it really is a great scope too. If you search about, Im sure you could pick up something you could afford, I had to sell some other hobby stuff to pay for mine so I know how you feel cash wise.

Archived