Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

130pds 15 minute Veil

Chris

Yeah I know guys, these objects could do with much more data and guiding, still its fun to see what you can pull out of the tiniest amount of data :D

15 x 1 minute exposures at ISO 1600 with the modded Canon 1100D and 130pds, I also used some bias frames at 1/4000sec to help with noise. Stacked in DSS and processed in paint shop pro. Cropped to about half the original area to cut out some gradient but not all :(

This was taken the night after I modded my camera, I was so H-alpha deprived I ended up zooming around the sky like a nutter bagging only little bits of data on various H-alpha targets hence not much data for each I'm affraid.

Chris

post-16129-0-40412000-1377292433_thumb.p

Thanks Dan, the background looks a bit bright when uploaded here but for 15 minutes I'm not moaning :)

Yes I modded it myself, its the second camera I've modded and I'm about to do a third and perhaps remove the bayer matrix whilst I'm there, risky risky :D

Chris

Thanks Dan, the background looks a bit bright when uploaded here but for 15 minutes I'm not moaning :)

Yes I modded it myself, its the second camera I've modded and I'm about to do a third and perhaps remove the bayer matrix whilst I'm there, risky risky :D

Chris

im going to do my 450D i think while im off. any tips?

That's nothing short of fantastic for a mere 15 minutes exposure ! Nicely focused and good stars too.

Are all your spider arms at exactly 180* or 90* ? There seems to be a bit of spike blur on the upper left.

Dave.

im going to do my 450D i think while im off. any tips?

Hi Dan, go for it mate :) I'd use Gary Honis's guide and stick your screws to a piece of paper with the step number as you are going along. Make sure you have a very good set of jewelers screw drivers handy, and some tooth picks for the ribbon cable. Something hook shaped would be very useful when re assembling the camera especially when it comes to re-connecting the rear panel containing the LCD screen as this usually has a couple of awkward ribbon cables which will make you curse trying to get them back in :D

Most importantly take your time, I took about 4-5 hours on mine which is really slow but I know that I've done a good job and that the sensor is dust bunny free :)

Thats a point, use a bulb blower to blow about the sensor after removing the filter to help avoid bunnies :)

Chris

That's nothing short of fantastic for a mere 15 minutes exposure ! Nicely focused and good stars too.

Are all your spider arms at exactly 180* or 90* ? There seems to be a bit of spike blur on the upper left.

Dave.

Wow thanks Dave :) I'll check the spider and see.

i took the liberty of removing the gradient for you using Pixinsights DBE tool Chris and there is a little more data in there that i've brought out not ideal working on the PNG from here as it gets a bit noisy but thought you might like to see the image without the gradient, i hope you don't mind and if it causes offence please just say and i will remove the image

post-11849-0-30746300-1377538221_thumb.p

Very nice! How far could you get with the Veil and an unmodded 450D?

Thanks Russe, and there is only one way to find out and thats to give it a go, I suspect you'll see the veil as there is a non H-alpha component to it by the looks of it :)

i took the liberty of removing the gradient for you using Pixinsights DBE tool Chris and there is a little more data in there that i've brought out not ideal working on the PNG from here as it gets a bit noisy but thought you might like to see the image without the gradient, i hope you don't mind and if it causes offence please just say and i will remove the image

post-11849-0-30746300-1377538221_thumb.p

I don't mind at all, thanks for taking the time to remove the gradient :) the background level looks much much better now! Not sure about pushing the data any further though as its looking a bit blotchy, I think I was on the limit of how much I could stretch 15 minutes and still keep it smooth, well smoothish.

The blotchyness is from working on the PNG I got from here I'd say ;)

No honestly, thank you :) I can't imagine how good you could make my image look if I doubled the integration time to a massive 30 minutes! :D and using a tif ;)

Hows things anyway jnc, I heard you were changing some of your kit around to take your imaging in a different direction?

Yeah things are good chris. Got my 200mm Canon L lens last week so hoping to get out with that on the weekend and really hoping my filter drawer with EOS adapter arrives from Germany as well but I think that's unlikely. Using a 85mm lens a few weeks ago was a real eye opener as to what can be achieved in a single night with the right kit

That's really nice Chris, and I agree, I think it's great (as a relative newbie) to see what can be done with shorter exposures and in a fairly short amount of time, in terms of captures. With the weather in this country, it's encouraging to see that you can get a great image without having to start a project that will take weeks / months (or years!) to complete!

Archived