Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Newbie87

What does this bit do....?

Hello all. I just got a Skywatcher 150p but I don't understand what this piece is for. It fits perfectly in the focus tube but the lenses work fine without the extra distance this bit provides. It is just over 6cm high, though the first centimetre fits in the focus tube. Any help?!!!!post-31631-0-69937500-1377291952_thumb.j

• Like 1

It's the adapter for 2" fitting eyepieces / accessories. You should have another one which fits the smaller 1.25" type. Use one or the other, not both together.

• Like 2

Ah brilliant, thank you very much. I won't be needing it but I'll keep it handy. What difference does an extra 0.75" on a lens make? More light, more detail, better/worse???

2" eyepieces most commonly offer wider views - often at lower magnifications. :)

Doesn't sound a lot but a 2" eyepiece is also a hell of a lot bigger.

Fab, thank you all very much. I suspect I will have other very basic questions in the next few days!!

Doesn't sound a lot but a 2" eyepiece is also a hell of a lot bigger.

Quite :)

pan-bgo.jpg

James

• Like 2

I've never seen them side by side, I'm amazed at the physical differences!

Ah brilliant, thank you very much. I won't be needing it but I'll keep it handy. What difference does an extra 0.75" on a lens make? More light, more detail, better/worse???

An empty wallet :p

• Like 1

2" eyepieces aren't too bad for an empty wallet, if you really want that then try astrophotography. :grin: :grin: :grin:

That REALLY does empty a wallet. :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Like 1

2" eyepieces aren't too bad for an empty wallet, if you really want that then try astrophotography. :grin: :grin: :grin:

That REALLY does empty a wallet. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not really sure this is the case. I'm sure there's plenty on here with ep cases that run into the many thousands.

That being said, I do know what you mean :)

Everything about astronomy seems to empty my wallet! There's always a new ep, filter, ccd camera, scope, mount, observatory .....

Why did I start?

You will need this as mentioned above, but also when you come to get, and use a twist lock adapter, also referred to as self centreing adapter.

Hello all. I just got a Skywatcher 150p but I don't understand what this piece is for. It fits perfectly in the focus tube but the lenses work fine without the extra distance this bit provides. It is just over 6cm high, though the first centimetre fits in the focus tube. Any help?!!!!post-31631-0-69937500-1377291952_thumb.j

My 200mm SW reflector came with one of those as well as one for the smaller eyepieces. It's a nice feature since I can reach focus with my DSLR when I remove this spacer and attach the camera directly to the focus tube with the correct camera adapter.