Narrowband

The Blue moon 200813

Photosbykev

one from tonight of the blue moon on the 20th August 2013.

9556683171_f22edb863a_b.jpg

The most popular definition of a Blue moon, which says that a blue moon is the second full moon in a single month, is fairly recent in origin and hasn't fully replaced the older definition — the one that applies tonight — which stipulates that a blue moon is the third full moon in any season that has four full moons instead of the usual three.

really nice capture, lens/exposure/f-stop/iso info be nice buddy :D

Canon 5d3 and 100-400 lens. Blend of 3 exposures at iso 800 f8 1/100 for the surface detail and 1/25 and 1/8 for the clouds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Lovely image. Not technically a Blue Moon though, I think (last one was about a year ago, next one is in a couple of years?)

James

I was basing it on the 3rd occurance of a full moon in a season containing four full moons rather than the usual three. Next one is 2015 I think

There appears to be 2 definitions of "Blue Moon"

a] Two full moons in a month, the Blue Moon being the second.

b] Four full moons in a season, the fourth being the Blue Moon.

What makes me suspect one is UK[a] and one is US with the US one enabling the event to occur more often.

Then comes the arguement when does a season start, we use the solstices and equinox's, the US use the first of the relevant month so we could be 21-23 days different there.

Seems b and ) together now give a smily.

Archived