Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What technique to use for comet ISON ?

I am not an expert by any means but based on what I know at the present time the best way would be to stack your pics. I found Lemmon the other night and it was rather faint through a 10" scope on maybe 5 or 10 second exposures. I took about 20 so hoping when I get into the hang of stacking and processing it'll stand out better. But obviously you have to be able to identify your star patterns and know you're in the right spot in case you can't see it.

As it gets brighter most photos will come from similar type setups and gradually, depending on how bright it gets, the apertures will shrink to where if it gets anywhere near naked eye visibility I'd imagine a lot of photos will be taken piggy back. What size lens I couldn't even begin to tell you but I'd imagine 35mm to 50mm would be sufficient.

I do not think it makes any difference at this point but ISON may get to a point where you'd have to take different exposure/shutter combinations to bring out different features. If I recall correctly with Hale Bopp, you 'd need one combo just for the nucleus and then a different combo to pull out the tail details. Someone may correct me or further clarify that.

Archived