SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UCLAN Undergraduate Certificate in Astronomy

Yimini

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Yimini, which subject are you looking to do first? I am looking at doing this course, however I have been advised that I should only take 1 or 2 subjects in the first year to get a feel for it.

I'm just doing the first module at the moment which entitles you to the above qualification (I believe). I would like over time to complete the entire degree, but as they say, one step at the time. I have two young kids so I will be pressed for time to get even that finished. Assuming that I complete that (I managed the Coursera one last December/January) I will assess how many I can take on for the next year.

Sorry miss read the Certificate as being CertHE (busily going backwards and forwards on their website)

Sounds like you have a great plan moving forward. I am looking at doing the same course this year as well. Originally, I was throwing up the idea if I could handle both the Certificate of Cosmology and the Certificate of Astronomy at the same time. Think I might just stick to the Certificate of Astronomy first and then continue on next year with a few subjects and just build up. Now if only I could find my copy of Universe by Kauffmann, Freedman and Gellar.... :confused:

Hi Yimini

I enrolled on this course myself last night. I'm also going to do the Introduction to Cosmology course this year. I have a slight concern about the time commitment, but have taken the plunge!

Very keen to get started on both. Like yourself, I'm hoping to possibly take many more modules in the future - but this year will be a bit of a "taster", both to see if the teaching method suits and also to establish what a sensible workload to take on is... Always tempting to take on a bit too much I think!

Good to see another person on the same course Tempus, feel free to join our informal study group. I found on the Coursera "Introduction to Astronomy" that being able to communicate with fellow students extremely helpful on the more difficult issues, I imagine that there might be an official forum set up by UCLAN, but it wouldn't hurt to have our own SGL group.

I've applied, but still not heard back :(

really want to do it so I'm hoping that they will accept me.

How long did it take for you guys to get accepted?

It took ten days between submitting my application and receiving the offer of a place. Mind you, this was back in March, so I guess they weren't showing too much urgency at the time.

Thanks for the info! It's been more than 10 days, so I contacted them and they have advised that the admissions tutor has been on annual leave, so they haven't made a decision yet.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I would like to do a course in astronomy, but I think my maths skill will let me down, so I have just signed up to my local college on a course to improve my skills and hopefully push on from there. I have plenty of time, so am not worried. It will only be for my own personal achievement. I am not looking to get a job with it. I am just interested to see how far I can push it.

I would like to do a course in astronomy, but I think my maths skill will let me down

I thought that too. But I did the maths pack on their website without too many problems so I thought, what the hell, go for it!

Also helps that my OH has a degree in Maths and is a teacher, so if I do need some help, I have it at hand!

Good luck with your maths course!

Hey guys, I did the certificates in Astronomy and Cosmology last year and looking to continue with more modules this year.

Check out the sub-forum for UCLan students here: http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/180-study-group-uclan-astronomy/

Also check out my feedback on the modules I did here:

If you're on Facebook too, you can join the groups we have set up. Search for AA1051 and AA1053 and click 'join'

If you're on Facebook too, you can join the groups we have set up. Search for AA1051 and AA1053 and click 'join'

I've just attempted to join the group for AA1051, but as there doesn't seem to be a facility to send a message with the request, I'm not sure that the administrator of the group will know who I am or why I'm attempting to join.

Any advice?

I've just attempted to join the group for AA1051, but as there doesn't seem to be a facility to send a message with the request, I'm not sure that the administrator of the group will know who I am or why I'm attempting to join.

Any advice?

I have just attempted to join, I assume that is sufficient.

Hey guys, I did the certificates in Astronomy and Cosmology last year and looking to continue with more modules this year.

Check out the sub-forum for UCLan students here: http://stargazerslou...clan-astronomy/

Also check out my feedback on the modules I did here: http://stargazerslou...d/#entry1996514

Your estimate of 200 hours per module seems very manageable. I hope I can hit that. I would guess I spent 200 hours on the Coursera module and that was over two months. I doubt I could keep up working at that intensity for very long.

Hi, I've also just yesterday applied for one of these courses - the Cosmology one. I've been checking out the UK courses in the last couple of week but somehow missed the UCLAN ones, so thanks to Yimini for posting this thread which prompted me. I'm looking forward to it, but haven't heard if I'm on yet.

Archived