Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody spotted SN2013EJ in M74 yet?

Looking at this picture of it:

http://farm4.staticf...85c6fabaf_o.jpg

Is that SN in the M74 galaxy? It's shining as bright as the stars from our own galaxy in front of it (by 30 million light years)!

Imagine how bright it'd be if it were in our own galaxy. Visible at daytime?

It is in M74. If it were in our own galaxy it could be visible during daytime (the SN that formed the Crab nebula was in 1053)

The M1 supernova was well documented by Chinese astronomers, in 1054 i think it was. As michael said, it was visible during the daytime. Fingers crossed on Betlegeuse ;)

I can barely see M74 when i normally look at it, so not much hope of getting the SN to my eyes i think.

M74 has low surface brightness, but the SN is well within reach of an 8" scope. As it is stellar, you should be able to find a star that should be their. Using the AAVSO chart tool you can make comparison/finder charts like the one attached (1 deg, reversed image for my diagonal-equipped scope). Finding it does not depend on seeing the galaxy (hardly possible with all the moonlight).

post-5655-0-34536300-1376989789_thumb.pn

Fingers crossed on Betlegeuse ;)

...going in the winter months. Can't imagine how frustrating it'd be to see it burning away in the day time and under the horizon at dark!

And for me the best part of a galactic supernova wouldn't necessareily be the actual event, although that'd be very exciting, it'd be the years and decades afterwards watching the resultant nebula take form.

Hi I am very new to this, but yesterday i was looking at the stars using google sky maps and i was looking at the Vega star. I live in Weston Super Mare which is in the south west of England. I saw a light or star flying just underneath the Vega star and i am very interested to know what it was. Could someone tell me if there was a satalite flying around there at that time or if maybe it was a comet. I dont think it was a shooting star because it wasnt going very fast it was going about as fast as a plan would in the sky but it obviously wasnt that. It flew underneath for about a minute then faded away. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. :smiley:

Hi I am very new to this, but yesterday i was looking at the stars using google sky maps and i was looking at the Vega star. I live in Weston Super Mare which is in the south west of England. I saw a light or star flying just underneath the Vega star and i am very interested to know what it was. Could someone tell me if there was a satalite flying around there at that time or if maybe it was a comet. I dont think it was a shooting star because it wasnt going very fast it was going about as fast as a plan would in the sky but it obviously wasnt that. It flew underneath for about a minute then faded away. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. :smiley:

This would better be placed as a separate query , but you must have spotted a satellite. These are quite common. The brightest one I have spotted (frequently) is the ISS.

• 2 weeks later...

I imaged this last night from the back garden - nice easy find at the end of the evening. Good conditions, but think I'm starting to dew up during this capture, hence not as many subs as I would've liked.

gallery_26731_2716_36324.png

In comparison to the surrounding stars I think this was pretty close to mag 12.7, so still burning brightly and very easy to locate!

Unfortunately the rest of the evening was not so good despite excellent conditions I couldn't get EQmod to put me on target, PHD2 beta worked well - between crashes and I spent three hours imaging the wrong patch of sky next to the Cats Eye Nebula. However, capturing my first SN was sufficient excitement and reward to keep me out until 03:30hrs on a work night ;)

Sounds like my night last night Jake, spent 3 hours trying to get PHD working again after trying PHD2 :/

Will be great though once the bugs are ironed out - I'm off to follow Gib007's tutorial and finish the Astrotortilla setup on my lappie ;)

I imaged this last night from the back garden - nice easy find at the end of the evening. Good conditions, but think I'm starting to dew up during this capture, hence not as many subs as I would've liked.

gallery_26731_2716_36324.png

In comparison to the surrounding stars I think this was pretty close to mag 12.7, so still burning brightly and very easy to locate!

Unfortunately the rest of the evening was not so good despite excellent conditions I couldn't get EQmod to put me on target, PHD2 beta worked well - between crashes and I spent three hours imaging the wrong patch of sky next to the Cats Eye Nebula. However, capturing my first SN was sufficient excitement and reward to keep me out until 03:30hrs on a work night ;)

Nice image. I did find it a week or two ago, but conditions were not that good. It looks like I could get it tonight or tomorrow night, however

Cheers Michael - I'll try and catch it under hopefully better conditions tonight if the forecast holds and keep the dew heaters running.

Given that this is now over 5 weeks since first reported on 27/7, is this typical duration for Type II SN? Visually It does seem to be holiding fairly steady at Mag 12.5 (by visual comparison with foreground stars), though AAVSO are plotting a gentle fade which is far more pronounced at the blue end of the spectrum:

545618132.png

Not a bad final hurrah, for a red supergiant that hubble/spitzer previously measured around mag 25.

Got SN2013EJ visually last night...well, in the small wee hours of the morning when Pisces and M74 were high in the sky, far away from the LP of Luton! M74 is always such a difficult one to pull out, but managed it in my 12" dob. Switched up to x150 magnification and skecthed this view. The SN is marked.

M74-SN2013ej_zps4edf61ca.png

Archived