Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular choice for holiday!

OK so,

I'm off to Mallorca on Saturday for 2 weeks and want to take one pair of bins with me for the occasional stargaze so.....

The choice available to me from my "thrown together collection" comes down to:-

Porro

1. Prinz 7x50 7.1° FOV (60 year old bins similar to Zenith style and still in good nick - I believe they may have been Dixon's own brand back then and were made in Korea).

2. Kowa 6x30 - 8° FOV - brand new

Roof

3. Bauer 10x42 - 6.1° not new

4. Opticron 8x32 - 8°FOV

Which one should I take?!!

Aperture says the ancient Prinz 7X50, but they're not light and the biggest in my collection.

Lightness says The Kowa 6x30 which is so easy to hold for long periods - but smallest aperture of all

But 10x42 and the smaller 8x32 are also good for travel.

I will also be taking a relatively substantial monopod which will fit all bar the Kowa and a Philips guide for 2013 to help with choosing what to look for.

I'm new to star gazing with bins so would appreciate any comments.

I intend to buy a SW ST 80/400 for future holiday outings by car but it would be too big to take on a plane (with tripod and mount) hence the choice of bins.

Kind regards

Roger

Tapatalk's an app for smartphones and tablets, designed to make forums easier to use than just going on the website. It puts a "signature" in when one posts with it.

And as for the binoculars, obviously check they're in good working order before leaving.

'BTW, what does "Tab on Tapatalk" mean?!!
Essentially that the combination is susceptible to typos and occasionally bizarre autocorrect so, if I appear to spout incomprehensible drivel, there's a possibility that it may be the technology, and not merely what I nowadays try to pass off as a mind.

Tab on Tapatalk

Archived