Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I can not make out any Messier objects in the eyepiece

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I should have read all of the posts before adding my tuppance worth. Anyway I hope the O.P. gets it all sorted out. Im a dob user so goto is a foreign language to me. Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

LOL I myself am a bit anti-goto but I completely understand why someone would want it.

I have found the GOTO on the scope to be very accurate, after even a 2 star alignment, putting an object or star such as 'Polaris' very close to the centre of the eyepiece even after using the TOUR feature for sometime. Impressive.

I usually get the scope out at twilight and chose a single solar object as my align point, presently venus or the moon. I let it sight for a while. when the southern cross or pointers appear I goto say alpha centauri. then I shut off the goto and start auto two star align , using alpha centauri and and then selecting a second star ,usually recommended by goto. I align that too and that usually does for the night.

I find the darker it gets, the harder to find a specific object in the scope, particularly if very high in the heavens...

we saw a cluster last night high in the sky which looked like a horse...any ideas what that was ?

impactcreator

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I have found a great dark skies area (7 miles outside of Plymouth) and have been able to see lots of objects now including Uranus, Neptune, Wild Duck cluster, Ring nebular, Dumbbell nebular, and close ups of the moon. I found 3 strange looking 'funnels' on the moon which are diagonally inline with each other. Does anyone have any ideas of what they are called?

Wot - Like this? http://en.wikipedia....essier_(crater) As suggested, an older crater

can sometimes "shield" surrounding plains from the debris of a newer impact? ;)

Nice pictures, but not those ones, If my memory serves me correctly, they look more like cooling tower funnels 3 of them arranged diagonally, but maybe they were being viewed in shadow and are really just medium sized craters?

If I can find them again, I will photograph them with my scope.

• 8 months later...

Archived