Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ATIK OSX Drivers R1.00 & Example App

NickK

So.. a lot of ATIK One testing has gone on today.. with TheSkyX.. and after some bug fixes :D it's working flawlessly.. The main issue with this camera is that I don't have one :p *wahh* lol

ATIK are now doing some hard testing of the TheSkyX plugin themselves - in addition to my own testing.. once that's ok I'll issue and update across the board :)

I also *faceplam* found out why the 16IC was causing a problem.. I forgot to add my FTDIChipID! But now I have had TheSkyX running the main camera and both the Titan and 16IC running with OpenPHD2 as I needed to get the focusing sorted (i.e. get the OAG and the main camera in near focus..

Sunday is looking like a bit of a clear night..

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just creating a PHD dialog window for the camera settings and entering the FTDIChipIDs..

It will allow you todo things like set preview mode, binning too. I'm considering making the gain slider also engage preview mode at 100% so you can do that without having to open the window..

It always happens.. you almost release (friday) something and you find a race condition with TSX's plugin during the last stages of testing where it's possible to overload the number of requests.  After much gnashing of teeth (mainly the wife's) I've coded up a new common active proxy using the age old worker queue pattern with the added bonus both the EFW2 and ATIK One filter wheels now use the same piece of code.

After giving it a hammering - It's all looking and feeling bulletproof now but as always - the proof is in the dogfooding.

It's also looking clear for tonight..

1. Drift align using OpenPHD's drift align tool using the 414EX and EQMac

2. Verification if where the hell I'm pointing using a local astrometry.net server on the mac mini :)

3. Guiding using the Titan and OpenPHD and EQMac

4. Full image capture with the 414EX for a set of targets :)

Now currently looking to see what targets will be available :D

ATIK OSX R1.44 Driver Release

Built on a 10.10.1 64 bit mini using Xcode 6.. but set for Universal.

R1.44 C++ dynamic library + dependancies: ATIKOSX R.44 C++ Drivers.zip

In this zip the follow files exist

* usr/include - include files for the C++ driver

* libATIK.dylib - C++ Modern driver itself

* libLegacyATK.dylib - C++ Legacy driver itself

* libusb-1.0.0.dylib - both drivers above use this

* libftdi2xx.1.2.2.dylib - legacy driver dependency

Or for those coding against Objective-C++

R1.44 Objective-C++ Modern Drivers framework: ATIKOSXDrivers.framework.zip

R1.44 Objective-C++ Legacy Drivers framework (requires modern): ATIKOSXLegacyDrivers.framework.zip

Note - these don't use libusb but use native IOKit operations directly.

R1.44 TheSkyX Plugin: ATIK TheSkyX Plugin R144.zip

R1.44 OpenPHD2 v2.4.1c (just updated the drivers): PHD2.zip

Changes

* Addition of the access to C++ active proxy for behaviour proxying - a new active proxy written that is used for camera and filter wheels.

* Fixes and updates for ATIK One

* Fix for extensions

Ok update for the TheSkyX Plugin - going full release.

TheSkyX OSX Plugin R145: ATIK TheSkyX Plugin R145.zip

The changes to this are exclusively for the ATIK One - support for 9 position filters, and selection of internal filter wheel (you'll see there's not two "EFW2".. as one was accidentally labeled that rather than "ATIK One FW". Also removed the "BETA Release" in the settings windows.

So things will be going slower now as the job hunt has become the priority - I've licked my wounds from the redundancy, and now it's time to get moving on that.

Feedback from ATIK was that the R1.45 plugin release did a sterling job during astrofest as it was constantly taking images over the two days with an ATIK One on the ATIK stand without any issues. SB run the plugin and are very happy with the stability. 

Where next?

Like always I have far too many things going on:

* I'd like to get a linux build working but realistically that may be later rather than sooner. I'm interested in getting the EQ6 operating as a "smart mount" with all the tools and software on a small plugin device (like an Odriod). 

* get my spectrometer finished. 

* build an 18" f4 dob/newton (actually this is the easiest out of the list!)

* sort out the realtime pipeline - the non-symetric PSF and others once I have a new laptop!

Oh.. there's also the house DIY..

Managed to find a little time today to finalise the OpenPHD2 changes - now with new settings window that allows some options:

post-9952-0-47218400-1424036048.png

Behind the scenes there's also a binning option however I'm still fighting the fact that OpenPHD doesn't understand that binning means you don't have a full sized image. What's good is that the FTDIChipID works nicely - you can add up to 4 mappings for use and the system will remember the settings.

OpenPHD2 v2.4.1c with R145: PHD2_241c_R145.zip

I know the PHD2 code base has moved on a little but this is the fastest way to get R145 into OpenPHD2. This has the settings window code and the latest driver.

I'll look at uploading the OpenPHD2 code to the repository shortly.

R1.45 C++ Drivers dynamic libraries: C++ R415.zip

R1.45 Modern Framework:  ATIKOSXDrivers.framework.zip

R1.45 Legacy Framework: ATIKOSXLegacyDrivers.framework.zip

Mainthing for the R1.45 is 9 slot filter wheel support.

I've uploaded the OS X OpenPHD2 implementation (minus the driver binaries above, wxWidgets-3.0.2, libusb-1.0.19, libdc1394-2.2.3, cfitsio libraries) - this is under the OpenPHD2 branch nick_osx_atik.

It's got the required PHD trunk changes for migrating to wxWidgets 3.0.2 required for building on 64bit OS X 10.10.

I already know someone that is borrowing the changes to compile an INDI version of OpenPHD2..

I'm also still biting my tongue at the blatant monetisation of open source software that appears to be going on.. for this reason I really don't think I will be contributing more to open source.. specifically the pipeline I've been working on. Instead I will create binaries available to use.

Just built the R145 C++ drivers on 10.6.8 with 32/64bit. After it's had some testing.. I'll pop it up here too.. 

Now I think it's worth possibly moving away from the Objective-C++ frameworks after all the Apple rumours that SWIFT is to form the driving force for Cocoa going forward... I'm thinking that just keeping the C++ dynamic libraries may be the better option..

Apple's WiFi should be called WiWon't. Maybe it's the mrs using iPlayer on the same network.. I'm sat here about to throw some toys out of their prams.. looks like ethernet cables then at SGL..

I'm building up a big list of things todo before SGL.. 

* I note that the OpenPHD2 running with Titan has what looks like a 8bit wrap around.. likely having 16bit signed somewhere.. The 414EX and 16IC work perfectly..

* seems to be something with subframes causing a problem with OpenPHD too - will have to have a look at that.. too...

Dogfooding.. the art of not giving up when you see valuable night imaging time disappearing to (possibly) your code issues.

Still.. almost got a first guided imaging run started.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got down to the bottom of the Titan issue after running a USB hex dump on the PC - all todo with startup of the camera.

So I'll do a build for R1.46 after a bit more dogfooding this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so now I have a bug in the Apple LLVM implementation - the compiler that turns the written source code into binary code. This was fixed.. so at some point I hope the next release by Apple sorts this.. 

Crashed Thread:        5 Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000 VM Regions Near 0:-->     __TEXT                 000000010f309000-000000010f30e000 [   20K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMCompiler Application Specific Information:Stack dump:0. Running pass 'AMDIL DAG->DAG Pattern Instruction Selection' on function '@lrApplyX' Thread 0:... Thread 5 Crashed:0   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b401f5a llvm::SelectionDAG::getMemcpy(llvm::SDValue, llvm::DebugLoc, llvm::SDValue, llvm::SDValue, llvm::SDValue, unsigned int, bool, bool, llvm::MachinePointerInfo, llvm::MachinePointerInfo) + 3941   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b439935 llvm::SelectionDAGBuilder::visitIntrinsicCall(llvm::CallInst const&, unsigned int) + 129812   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b41b2c6 llvm::SelectionDAGBuilder::visitCall(llvm::CallInst const&) + 2143   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b41579a llvm::SelectionDAGBuilder::visit(unsigned int, llvm::User const&) + 7464   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b414cf2 llvm::SelectionDAGBuilder::visit(llvm::Instruction const&) + 665   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b44fa08 llvm::SelectionDAGISel::SelectBasicBlock(llvm::ilist_iterator<llvm::Instruction const>, llvm::ilist_iterator<llvm::Instruction const>, bool&) + 406   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b44f943 llvm::SelectionDAGISel::SelectAllBasicBlocks(llvm::Function const&) + 28197   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b44e609 llvm::SelectionDAGISel::runOnMachineFunction(llvm::MachineFunction&) + 7778   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b52c1c3 llvm::MachineFunctionPass::runOnFunction(llvm::Function&) + 999   libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b916b22 llvm::FPPassManager::runOnFunction(llvm::Function&) + 32210  libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b9162c6 llvm::FunctionPassManagerImpl::run(llvm::Function&) + 19811  libLLVMContainer.dylib         0x00007fff9b9161c6 llvm::FunctionPassManager::run(llvm::Function&) + 8612  libCLVMAMDilPlugin.dylib       0x0000000110d9200f Plugin::clLinkComputeProgram(llvm::LLVMContext&, std::__1::vector<llvm::Module*, std::__1::allocator<llvm::Module*> >&, unsigned long long, char const*, char const*, void const*, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >&, void**, unsigned long*, char**, unsigned long*) + 431913  libCLVMAMDilPlugin.dylib       0x0000000110d8e812 cvmsPluginElementBuild + 220114  CVMCompiler                    0x000000010f30b932 cvmsCompBuildElement + 15815  CVMCompiler                    0x000000010f30cbfb __cvmsCompInitializeConnection_block_invoke + 124916  libxpc.dylib                   0x00007fff9163f589 _xpc_connection_call_event_handler + 5817  libxpc.dylib                   0x00007fff9163e04b _xpc_connection_mach_event + 190118  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980ee0f8 _dispatch_client_callout4 + 919  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980ef1a3 _dispatch_mach_msg_invoke + 44520  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980ec154 _dispatch_queue_drain + 57121  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980eda10 _dispatch_mach_invoke + 23222  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980ec154 _dispatch_queue_drain + 57123  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980edecc _dispatch_queue_invoke + 20224  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980eb6b7 _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 46325  libdispatch.dylib              0x00007fff980f9fe4 _dispatch_worker_thread3 + 9126  libsystem_pthread.dylib        0x00007fff91c01637 _pthread_wqthread + 72927  libsystem_pthread.dylib        0x00007fff91bff40d start_wqthread + 13

• 3 weeks later...

I've been busy on the job hunt, I'm now into round two interviews with a local company so fingers crossed. However today was an astro day.. well at least solar but as I'm falling asleep on my feet - the clear night is going to waste.

I've also found a couple of bugs and a couple of other issues with my Titan driver implementation (doesn't affect other cameras) - I'm continuing to work on that. I've updated to 10.10.3 too. 

Also :D I have now got the Example App working with the pure OpenCL pipeline this afternoon, although I am starting to push the limits of the GPU architecture. I've also identified some optimisations on the display so the application performance itself is better.

I have test data from SGLX for the new idea and I have the coding in the way.

Hey Nick:

I am having a problem using my Atik 460 on TheSkyX Pro with camera add-on. It connects to the camera and shows the temp etc but when I go to take a shot I get an error message stating "This command is not supported. Error=11000"

Not sure what the problem is. I have reinstalled the R1.45 plugin for TSX twice and still no luck. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Gato

Just an update, I connected the Atik 460 to Nebulosity3 (on Mac OS X) and was able to connect and capture images. Can bin 4x4 and 1x1. So I know the connections are all good and that the camera is functioning properly. Still getting the error message in TSX so can't use TPoint or Image link or @focus2. Hoping to have this issue resolved soon.

Thanks.

Hey Nick:

I am having a problem using my Atik 460 on TheSkyX Pro with camera add-on. It connects to the camera and shows the temp etc but when I go to take a shot I get an error message stating "This command is not supported. Error=11000"

Not sure what the problem is. I have reinstalled the R1.45 plugin for TSX twice and still no luck. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Gato

Hmm interesting - which version (and build) of TSX are you using? Sounds like this is something todo with the plugin/TSX interaction rather than the underlying driver used by Neb.

Also can you check the camera settings - the window should look like this:

post-9952-0-75593000-1429432455.png

Reason I ask is that there is a older SB plugin that doesn't support temperature setting.

Can you check that the selected option is "ATIK 460" rather than "ATIK Universal".

Hey Nick:

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry Was out doing yard work today so did not see your response till now. The SkyXPro is version 10.3.0 build 8648. I was  trying it with Mac OS X 10.10.2. Just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.10.3 to see if that made any difference. No change. My Camera settings in TSX looks like the screen shot you provided above. I took some screen shots, but am not sure how to add them to this forum. I have a similar thread on the SB TSX pro forums which shows the screen shots here:

http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/23798.aspx?PageIndex=2

Nebulosity3 again does see the camera and takes shots with it. If you need any more info about this let me know and will try to get you all the info I can.

Thanks again.

Gato

Also wanted to add the Temp shows up fine but the Power source is "Unknown". I am not using the cigarette connector that came with the camera as I don't have a 12V DC battery ( am running AC in my observatory). Had a AC-DC 12V 2.5A power converter that I am using. The fan runs fine and as I said Nebulosity3 picks the camera up, but not TSX.

Gato

Hmm 11000 is "unimplemented" which is odd. Behind the scenes it's the same driver and plugin for all the 400 and 383L (I've been using a 414ex and 383L with TSX), it may be that there's a change in version - let me pick this up on SB's own forum as it saves server space here.

So just to say - I've been working with RR to identify the issue with TheSkyX plugin. OpenPHD2 takes images (same driver underneath) without a problem using the same setup. I believe it's something related to @focus2 however I've issued him a dev build for testing some theories.

I've found one global issue if, any only if precisely, 1 second is used for timed conditional waiting. This is down to behaviour not in the OS X dev docs. Note it will not impact your exposures of 1.0 second... but it may cause higher CPU load as the conditional wait returns EVAL and fails to wait (i.e. a slow loop every second then becomes a CPU chewing loop as the wait doesn't work!).

I'll then issue R1.49 once this is resolved.

Hey Everyone:

The R148 build did not help my issue of not being able to capture images with my Atik 460ex mono camera. It would connect up and allow me to set the set point temperature, so the system was seeing the CCD, but whenever  I went to take a photo it would give me the Error 11000 message. So today I did a full clean install of Mac OS X 10.10.3 on a newly formated HD and then installed TSXP full installer along with the latest daily build for Mac. Entered all my serials for TSXP, camera add-on and TPoint. Connected up to the camera as usual. This time however, the camera was able to capture images! Finally. 

So anyone else having these issues, would be a good idea to reformat you HD and do a clean system install. My system had been only getting OS updates instead of a full clean install and over the years a lot of garbage had probably accumulated in my system. The clean install solved my issues.

Now to wait for the next clear skies so I can do a TPoint run and get my polar alignment set and then start with some imaging.

Take care.

Gato

Hey Everyone:

The R148 build did not help my issue of not being able to capture images with my Atik 460ex mono camera. It would connect up and allow me to set the set point temperature, so the system was seeing the CCD, but whenever  I went to take a photo it would give me the Error 11000 message. So today I did a full clean install of Mac OS X 10.10.3 on a newly formated HD and then installed TSXP full installer along with the latest daily build for Mac. Entered all my serials for TSXP, camera add-on and TPoint. Connected up to the camera as usual. This time however, the camera was able to capture images! Finally. 

So anyone else having these issues, would be a good idea to reformat you HD and do a clean system install. My system had been only getting OS updates instead of a full clean install and over the years a lot of garbage had probably accumulated in my system. The clean install solved my issues.

Now to wait for the next clear skies so I can do a TPoint run and get my polar alignment set and then start with some imaging.

Take care.

Gato

That's great news!

Also some more news .. Nebulosity 4: http://www.stark-labs.com/downloads.html

post-9952-0-03082600-1430120200_thumb.pn

This is currently using R1.48 - updated from the very, very, very (over two years IIRC) drivers.

So.. sorting out the ATIK Titan.. I spent about 45 minutes chatting through the camera in depth with ATIK, this is now looking very good. 

The camera is happy as larry with ExampleApp again - so now I have that working, I need to rebuild and retest on the C++ drivers TSX and Nebulosity4.

Archived