Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apollo 15 landing site

RAC

The large background shot was done by me a year or so back with a canon camera with a 8" f5 200p.

The zoomed in pic was done a few nights ago at about 5000mm of focal length with a qhy5 a gso 10" f4 scope and televue 5x powermate with the camera at out front at prime focus.

The pixel scale is about 310 meters/pixel.

9524778723_683516c0d7_b.jpg

Apollo 15 landing site. by Raymond Collecutt, on Flickr

Pic of the front end of the scope.

9478449698_0243b2c7eb_b.jpg

GSO 10" f4 modded to prime focus for planetary imaging. by Raymond Collecutt, on Flickr

And a random shot of the edge somewhere on the moon.

9509388758_72aed11973_b.jpg

Moon edge by Raymond Collecutt, on Flickr

What a fantastic achievement...Thanks for sharing.

Is it possible to use this arrangement for all AP thus removing the secondary (and all the associated problems) from the imaging train?

Steve

With a small camera like an Atik 460 then yes but my 383L would be a bit big. And then there's the problem of my OAG, I would have to come up with a plan for that.

what a superb pair of images. I love the montage of Hadley and environs. I like to seek out Hadley visually when the lighting is right. it's a good test of seeing and much better in the UK in winter when the moon's a bit higher.

Fascinating -- both the images and the scope mod.

Did you do the mod purely out of interest or did you feel that the secondary and focuser were an inherent weakness that you wanted to avoid? And how do you focus it now?

James

Fascinating -- both the images and the scope mod.

Did you do the mod purely out of interest or did you feel that the secondary and focuser were an inherent weakness that you wanted to avoid? And how do you focus it now?

James

Just out of interest really but I did find the focus point too far out in the stock location. For now I just use the thread on the old finder scope that the extension is made out of, this works better than first thought but I do have a 1.25" helical focuser on its way(and an ASI120mm). It also holds collimation very well like this for some reason.

Raymond what fantastic photos of the Lunar surface and I really appreciate the Apollo 15 landing site details. Hadley Rille is one of the remaining Lunar 100 sites that I have yet to observe in detail - your photos make me keen to resolve this.

I also looked at your Flickr page - some lovely work - well done.

Mark

Archived