Narrowband

Parallelogram Binocular Mount

Astro Otto

Does anyone here use or have this Parallelogram Binocular Mount that is either made of steel or aluminum?

If so can you list your likes and dislikes about this type of mount. This is the only type mount that I am a where of for binoculars.

I just received my Celestron 20 x 80 Binoculars .

Thanks

Hi Otto,

I am planning to build one myself, its not at all hard. Given that you are in Florida, you can also purchase one from Orion telescopes and binoculars, but it will cost a bit of money. the below link is nice, but i am designing one that is a mix of many of these mounts, commercial and amateur.

http://starmon.com/tripod.html

• 4 weeks later...

Love that Michael, going to copy the hell out of it if you don't mind?

By all means! The changes I envisage are the following:

• Somewhat shorter arms (125cm instead of 160cm) of the parallelogram will reduce vibration and the torque on the main mounting, while still allowing sufficient range of motion.
  • Larger diameter of the base (98mm diameter vs. 73 in the current design
  • More easily adjustable tension on the axes to adjust the friction (without tools)
  • new mounting for the bins itself (a crack developed in the wood, I will replace it with a plywood construction)

Some of the changes are inspired by my home-brew alt-az mount shown here

Archived