Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD2 Beta

Freddie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed, this version is not written by Craig Stark. It seems to be a third party version produced by a private company, not sure I like the way thats going. I'll stick with what I have now, it works!

No - I believe that Bret has a link to the OpenPHD. I had the same initial thought that it was Bret's company providing it (it's not clear it's an open source application that Bret provides input into). Looking at some of the posts on the OpenPHD2 support group - Craig still posts/guides the discussion/development.

Ran last night for about 4 hours. No problems at all. Has some nice new features like trend lines on the graph, different min motion for RA and dec, RMS errors for RA and dec and errors in " if you input scope and pixel info. Well worth a look.

You could try taking a snapshot from your guider cam and upload it to astrometry.net:

http://nova.astrometry.net/upload

This will tell you your pixel scale from that you can work out your focal length using the following formula:

FL (mm) = [ pixel size (um) / pixel scale (arcsec/pixel) ] * 206.3

The pixel size of a QHY5 camera is 5.2 um

Really like the interface on this and the noise reduction, graphing, star profile and general layout is much nicer - however, it worked for about 20 minutes after calibration then crashed out for no apparent reason. I've gone back to unguided tonight as the sky is so good tonight and I want to get some more capture before the moon rises. I'll check the log files tomorrow and e-mail in a ticket if there's any useful debug.

Had a similar issue like Jake, It stopped guiding, but wouldn't let me restart without having to end task the application. Not sure there's an option, but both RA and DEC traces were the same colour on the graph, which made it hard to distinguish what was what. Other than that, and the time it took to calibrate (even after changing the settings to match that of PHD) it worked well.

Had a similar issue like Jake, It stopped guiding, but wouldn't let me restart without having to end task the application. Not sure there's an option, but both RA and DEC traces were the same colour on the graph, which made it hard to distinguish what was what. Other than that, and the time it took to calibrate (even after changing the settings to match that of PHD) it worked well.

I gave it a quick try on Monday night. I had also tried to match the settings to the same as I have in PHD1 and PHD2 took much longer to calibrate. After that the guiding graph seemed to be all over the place and as the DEC & RA traces were the same colour it was difficult to work out which was which. As it was the first clear night for a while, I wimped out and went back to PHD1 for the rest of the session. I'll give PHD2 another go when I have more time to do it justice.

I ran it last night for about an hour before the clouds rolled in.

There's some nice changes from PHD1: one of which is the program doesn't lock up if you forget to turn off guiding before you issue a slew command!

I also really like the new polar alignment error display, makes things much quicker/simpler to get good alignment. Basically, you turn off DEC guiding and let the star drift. PHD then works out the misalignment and draws a circle on the guide display. You then adjust whichever bolt you're working on so the star moves from the centre of the circle to the line drawn by PHD. Easy :D

Hi can anybody help me the focal length of my celestron 9x50 finderscope? am I right in thinking its 200,then I use a qhy5 guide cam.

Although taking an image through it and using astrometry.net to resolve it would be more accurate, when I used my celestron 9x50 finderscope as a guidescope, I worked on the basis of it having a focal length of 210mm

Although taking an image through it and using astrometry.net to resolve it would be more accurate, when I used my celestron 9x50 finderscope as a guidescope, I worked on the basis of it having a focal length of 210mm

I guess you could also measure the distance from the lens to the sensor when the scope is in focus. This would give you a reasonable idea as well I would think?

Archived