Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Scosmico

Nova Delphinus 2013

Seems to form one corner of a tiny "kite", with a couple of tails. Mostly +6-7 magnitude stars, so should outshine those! :)

Should be in Watec / Star Analyser spectrum range. Only a short time of clear skies before cloud! Never good to plan... :p

I just marked it off in Stellarium for later as it is looking like it may be clear.

It may or may not be useful to some. Assuming I have it marked right..:D

post-13491-0-78089400-1376676342_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yup, nice one. :)

Of course it's now gone "eight octa" cloudy here... I can relax in front of the TV.

Edited by Macavity

Lucky enough to see it last night. CertZinly outshined the stars around it and looked as though there was some gas around it. Very nice! My first Nova!

• Like 1

I just marked it off in Stellarium for later as it is looking like it may be clear.

It may or may not be useful to some. Assuming I have it marked right..:D

post-13491-0-78089400-1376676342_thumb.j

Thanks for posting the chart.

Should make it easier.

Scope is outside cooling down, sky is clear and beer is in the fridge.

D.C

So it's 'just' a novae, not super novae. The super novae implodes to form a black hole right?

I believe thats mass dependent.

Novas usually occur in binary systems from what I remember where they accumulate material from their stellar partner, reach a certain mass and then expel the extra material.

Its looking promising in Bristol so I'm setting up. Having bagged my first supernova last month im looking forward to my first nova. Beer at the ready too :)

Its looking promising in Bristol so I'm setting up. Having bagged my first supernova last month im looking forward to my first nova. Beer at the ready too :)

There's the occasional drift of cloud coming over this way, but I'm hoping the huge lump of cloud currently racing over Ireland and into Wales is sufficiently delayed.

James

There's the occasional drift of cloud coming over this way, but I'm hoping the huge lump of cloud currently racing over Ireland and into Wales is sufficiently delayed.

James

Its clear over the water here in Barry... but of course i'm in work :(

Its clear over the water here in Barry... but of course i'm in work :(

I can almost see the weather in Barry from here :)

James

This is my current view when pointed at it...

post-27545-137668308351_thumb.jpg

I'll give it half an hour.

Ha ha! I know that feeling so well. The excitement as the goto slews round at the object you've chosen to see, then, DOH!

Typical wall too wall cloud here in skem,all I need is 10mins of clear sky and I CAN'T EVEN HAVE THAT........GRRRRRRRRR

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Scope cool, beer cool......cloud has rolled in!!!!!!

I hope it clears soon. I've not had my scope out in ages.

D.C

Yep its lovely..mag 4 so naked eye!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Well I think I'm looking at it. I'm pointed at the right place and there's an object that looks a lot like an ordinary yellowish star outshining its neighbours.

Pretty unremarkable unless you know the story behind it but at least I've seen it.

Woo hoo! I think this is it? Can anyone confirm for me? I flipped the image horizontally wich I think is right with a newt but apologies if its back to front or upside down.

post-15373-137668731123_thumb.jpg

Just seen it with the bins too, while the scope is shooting some more subs.

Well I think I'm looking at it. I'm pointed at the right place and there's an object that looks a lot like an ordinary yellowish star outshining its neighbours.

Pretty unremarkable unless you know the story behind it but at least I've seen it.

:D:D that is so..

"The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline"

:p;)

Just eyeballed it, my guess is about mag 4.5..

21:45-22:15 BST: Just managed to get it naked eye. Some thin clouds and LP making it near limit from here. Estimated mag at 4.6.

Nigel

Here's the image I took of the nova just now. This is 13 x 30s exposures

Very nice. I don't think I was really making much effort with my single 10s jpeg lol. The sky is milking over now but if it clears again ill go and have a proper go.

21:45-22:15 BST: Just managed to get it naked eye. Some thin clouds and LP making it near limit from here. Estimated mag at 4.6.

Nigel

Just been looking at it with 10x50 - it's in the same field as 29 Vul but to me is not brighter. Near 5 mag. They are the two brightest stars in the region though.

andrew