Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nova Delphinus 2013

Scosmico

Seems to form one corner of a tiny "kite", with a couple of tails. Mostly +6-7 magnitude stars, so should outshine those! :)

Should be in Watec / Star Analyser spectrum range. Only a short time of clear skies before cloud! Never good to plan... :p

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just marked it off in Stellarium for later as it is looking like it may be clear.

It may or may not be useful to some. Assuming I have it marked right..:D

post-13491-0-78089400-1376676342_thumb.j

Thanks for posting the chart.

Should make it easier.

Scope is outside cooling down, sky is clear and beer is in the fridge.

D.C

So it's 'just' a novae, not super novae. The super novae implodes to form a black hole right?

I believe thats mass dependent.

Novas usually occur in binary systems from what I remember where they accumulate material from their stellar partner, reach a certain mass and then expel the extra material.

Its looking promising in Bristol so I'm setting up. Having bagged my first supernova last month im looking forward to my first nova. Beer at the ready too :)

There's the occasional drift of cloud coming over this way, but I'm hoping the huge lump of cloud currently racing over Ireland and into Wales is sufficiently delayed.

James

There's the occasional drift of cloud coming over this way, but I'm hoping the huge lump of cloud currently racing over Ireland and into Wales is sufficiently delayed.

James

Its clear over the water here in Barry... but of course i'm in work :(

Well I think I'm looking at it. I'm pointed at the right place and there's an object that looks a lot like an ordinary yellowish star outshining its neighbours.

Pretty unremarkable unless you know the story behind it but at least I've seen it.

Well I think I'm looking at it. I'm pointed at the right place and there's an object that looks a lot like an ordinary yellowish star outshining its neighbours.

Pretty unremarkable unless you know the story behind it but at least I've seen it.

:D:D that is so..

"The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline"

:p;)

Just eyeballed it, my guess is about mag 4.5..

21:45-22:15 BST: Just managed to get it naked eye. Some thin clouds and LP making it near limit from here. Estimated mag at 4.6.

Nigel

Just been looking at it with 10x50 - it's in the same field as 29 Vul but to me is not brighter. Near 5 mag. They are the two brightest stars in the region though.

andrew

Archived