SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nova Delphinus 2013

Scosmico

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is taken straight from Wikipedia

• NA: Fast novae, with a rapid brightness increase, followed by a brightness decline of 3 magnitudes — to about 116 brightness — within 100 days.[11]
  • NB: Slow novae, with a 3 magnitudes decline in 150 days or more.
  • NC: Very slow novae, staying at maximum light for a decade or more, fading very slowly. It is possible that NC type novae are objects differing physically very much from normal novae, for example planetarynebulae in formation, exhibiting Wolf-Rayet star like features.

But as i dont know what type it is, and i imagine as James said, no one really knows.

I have totally given up with weather predictions, especially night time predictions. I get the impression that the "weather people" arent overly fussed about the accuracy of the overnight forecasts as most people are in doors or wont be looking up anyway. So providing they can just predict if its going to rain or not overnight will do. So many times this year i have either gone out and set up (i have to travel to a nice dark site) never to see anything other than dark underbelly of a night time cloud, or have not bothered on the basis of the weather report only to have to contain my hulk like emotions as i glance outside at 1a.m to see a beautiful black sky studded with glowing diamonds grrr.

Ive always found BBC Weather to be fairly accurate. The timings may not be quite right, but its hard to predict that at 10pm on the dot all the clouds will magically dissapear etc.

But there are times its totally opposite, but the planet and weather systems are always changing.

You really can't miss it when you look at the star chart and are hopping in your finder along those may9 mag 10 stars then all of a sudden this bright mag 5 or 4 star sitting there and no big black dot on the star map, you know you've found it.

Could someone advise me how an idiot could point to this with goto? I presume I just align it and key in the coordinates above?

I did my fair share of star hopping when I had my dob, but since I started using a goto AZ mount I find it impossible to do so using just a handset to steer the scope.

Deos anyone know what distance it is at? I was wondering how long ago it was that it went bang, and if it took any planets or civilizations with it.

I think this is just a nova, not a supernova. I'm sure someone else can explain it better but I don't think there is a bang with novas.

Did anyone manage to see it yet? +-6Mag.?

http://www.space.com...013-photos.html

I haven't pointed the scope at it but did get a widefield shot of it. Posted in the Imaging - Widefield section.

I read that it could be a binary, taking gas from its partner. If that's so, and it gives a sudden flare in brightness, wouldn't it also increase heat and radiation to any near by planets?

I reckon anyone nearby would need to up the SPF of their sun lotion :grin:

I read that it could be a binary, taking gas from its partner. If that's so, and it gives a sudden flare in brightness, wouldn't it also increase heat and radiation to any near by planets?

I hope I've got the science right here, please correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe that novae are unique to white dwarf stars. These are the dying embers of stars that have previously expanded to become red giants and then shed their outer layers leaving behind a very dense white dwarf.

In which case the red giant phase will have been likely to have engulfed any earth-like planets long ago.

So it's 'just' a novae, not super novae. The super novae implodes to form a black hole right?

I came across this one since I have the astronomy picture of the day as screensaver on my mobile phone.

Which website is best to follow for this kind of stuff? (apart from this forum obviously)

Could someone advise me how an idiot could point to this with goto? I presume I just align it and key in the coordinates above?

I did my fair share of star hopping when I had my dob, but since I started using a goto AZ mount I find it impossible to do so using just a handset to steer the scope.

First you do a good alignment. Select constellation of Delphinium. Bright stars ans star hope from there using the chart. Alternatively you can do a manual input on goto using the RA and DE given.

First you do a good alignment. Select constellation of Delphinium. Bright stars ans star hope from there using the chart. Alternatively you can do a manual input on goto using the RA and DE given.

Thanks

If this break in the cloud ever materialises I'll give it a go.

Archived