SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ordering VX10 tomorrow

In the morning I'm going to order the OO VX10-4.8,not sure whether to upgrade mirror as the base one looks good,and my location seems to have turbulent skies a lot, possibly negating the effects of the better mirror.We will see after I talk to OO tomorrow.I called a vendor about the FeatherTouch focuser,but I'll have to pay VAT up front with a rebate possible from the Gov't. and they didn't really deal with OO,so I'm sticking with the stock focuser for now.I can't wait for the aperture increase!Already the objects out there are getting much brighter,with a bunch of the brighter ones visible quite a bit :laugh:.I hope it comes soon!!

Congrats Gerry - hope the wait is not too long and all arrives in good order. The VX10 is an excellent bit of kit and something I would love to own @ 1/10PV if I could stretch. What mount are you planning to use this on?

Congrats Gerry - hope the wait is not too long and all arrives in good order. The VX10 is an excellent bit of kit and something I would love to own @ 1/10PV if I could stretch. What mount are you planning to use this on?

I purchased the aluminum OO Dob mount,with the friction brake.The nice thing is a guy can make/choose different mounts for it & I have a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate here to make a wider bottom for it with adjustable height feet.It looks as if I can just bolt the whole mount on the plate.Their Dob mount looks really good,strong & portable and in all likely hood will use it as is.I upgraded to a 1/8 PV mirror....split the difference.I can't wait to try her out!!And now I have to get some collimation tools....

good choice, when do you expect delivery ?

Thanks....In conversation with OO they said to expect shipment in 3 weeks,and I'm not sure how long FedEx will take to get it here,I'm off the beaten path.I've noted some folks saying that their quoted delivery times are optimistic....They have been very helpful,prompt and professional and I have no reason to doubt the delivery time frame.I'll know in a few weeks I guess :smiley:!

Do post a review after you've had a chance to try it out a bit - I'm looking for something similar, and curious to know how it performs, and how it might compare to the cheaper, more common offerings. Looks a lovely bit of kit.

Hi Gerry, I have the bog standard OO 10" F4.8 Dob, one of the early models. It gives great views so I'm sure you will be well happy with the upgraded version.

Hope you don't have to wait too long, but it will be worth it.

Please let us know when it arrives, and a first light report please :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

if you ask, OOUK might be able to source and fit a focuser and other accessories of your choice. worth speaking to them and will save messing about in the future. great choice of scope!

Hi Shane,glad to here you think it is a good choice :grin:.I asked about the focuser bit & they said they would fit one if I sent it.I contacted one vendor but it was going to get complicated....I can be exempted on VAT if proof of export is supplied,but if delivered from one place in UK to another VAT is triggered & then I can apply for a rebate-I think.But the big issue is sourcing the focuser & getting it there,shipping from here would be tax on tax on shipping on tax.....!!It comes with a straight thru finder,what other accy's would be good?I need a Telrad or similar I know-I'm not sure how they are attached,if they need a base etc.

Congratulations on placing the order Gerry :smiley:

Prior to getting my 12" F/5.3 Orion Optics, I owned a 10" F/4.8 with 1/6th wave PV mirrors and Hilux coatings. It had the single speed Orion Optics focuser fitted. I enjoyed that scope, particularly it's light weight which meant I could use it with my Giro-type alt-azimuth mount and move the whole lot around the garden easily :smiley:

maybe you could get FLO to send one on your behalf? not sure how the vat works out though, maybe they can advise.

I'd agree a Telrad is a good choice, the base sticks on with 'permanent' double sided pads which can be removed but never come off accidentally. I also feel that a right angle correct image finder (if you can replace the straight through with OOUK and reduce the price that would be good). I use the Orion USA ones http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Finder-Scopes/Black-9x50-Right-Angle-Correct-Image-Finder/c/3/sc/49/p/7212.uts

Gerry,

if you are planning to keep is as a Dob, then the standard focuser will be fine.

I ran mine for a while, until the imaging rig grew too heavy then changed to a Feathertouch. I was hanging a lot of weight, though, SBIG ST8300, Filter wheel, OAG and corrector, so not surprised.

If you are going to load it above a couple of kg, then consider the change, otherwise, I would expect it to be OK. For what it's worth, the mounting holes are different between the OO and Feathertouch and the hole through the OTA needed to be bored out a little to fit.

As said above, I think they are sincere when they give you a delivery date, but as they are all individually built, I get the impression slippage is common. Mine slipped too, but I forgive them now.

Gordon.

Archived