Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving to Devon

Miranda

So, I am moving to Devon.. and after thinking about it and talking about it for a couple of months, I have looked at the calender today and thought WOW its only 2 weeks away!

So, I've been busy googling astro stuff happening in the south-west, all those dark skies to explore :D I will definitely plan on coming to the Norman Lockyer meetings (work permitting) and see whats happening locally.

So, a HELLO from a shropshire girl, via Hereford, coming to Exeter with a pair of bins :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just beware of The Imagers.

Darth Vader has nothing on them.

Hi Miranda. Welcome to Devon! I am an NLO member and you will be very welcome. You should come up on a Friday night when we have an Observers meeting. I'm an "Imager" by the way and have no idea what Ronin means!? Was it supposed to be an insult?

Well... I do have a DSLR although I am way way way away from ever taking an astro images, although what got me into astronomy was taking pics of the stars!

And I wouldnt call myself as astronomer, but a definite keen learner :D I can work out my plough from my Cassiopeia and love working with my bins and a planisphere. I did pop down to the SGL camp for an evening earlier this year and got a bit of aperture-fever but I bought a new nifty fifty for my camera instead LOL.

So, keen learner, love to know more and meet some lovely people too - but all my knowledge has come via S@N and Prof Cox :D

Are the NLO meetings every friday? Do they have observers meetings each friday or what? The website looks fab and Sidmouth is a lovely place even in the daylight.

I cant wait for my move now - 2 weeks to go and a lot has to happen in the mean time, but the more time I spend in Devon the more I feel like its my second home.

No reason you can't use your existing lenses and DSLR on a tripod to take wide field images. No telescope required :) A programmable remote is handy though.

James

Yeah I have done a bit of that before, but haven't got round to playing with it for a while... Oh well - I will be inspired I'm sure :D

Yes Miranda, we have Observers meetings every Friday, usually with a talk to start and perhaps a Planetarium show and then some "live" observing using the NLO scopes. We also have various open evenings during the week. Meanwhile, the "Imagers" will be defending the Death Star!

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is going to NLO on a Friday, can I nab a lift. The bus service from Exeter to Sidmouth is a bit poo sometimes.

Wont be going for the next month but when I do happy to give a lift if suits

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks. 
Been mega busy - as a shift worker getting friday off and then with the wonderful weather we have been having recently as made me a rather rubbish wannabe astronomer lol. Ive only been here a few months but it feels like years already lol.

Anyone here going to NLO this friday? I'm trying to swap a shift so I can get to the StarGazing Live event on 9th too! 

Archived