Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

Iris Nebula

Michael1971

Last night I went for the iris Nebula, a not so easy target.

Maybe some people recall that I had problems with my stars. (elongation, coma, weird shapes..)

Here you can see what a difference a GPU aplanatic coma corrector makes.

This 4 lens corrector is an expensive piece (242€) but it delivers its promise.

Also its very big but it slides completely in my focuser and with lots of room to focus.

This makes it a solid connection to my focuser.

Not only all coma is gone on a full frame, also spherical aberration will be solved. (not really an issue with newtonians with parabolic mirrors)

I almost always had stars with red and blue edges and that now is gone to.

This is also a full frame image (1100D), only a very slight crop on the edges. Notice the nice tight stars..

This image has been captured with 25x600sec 800 ISO with neodymium filter.

Although I never had a better iris nebula then this one, I had some problems to really get the dust lanes out.

Maybe even more data is required.

Seen some amazing dust lanes on other images but no clue how they did that..

Anyway, I am still happy with it :)

CS!

Mike

post-24961-0-47147500-1376568250_thumb.j

Edited by Michael1971

• 1 month later...

Cheers Mike,

That's a good image, nice pinpoint stars!

I believe you have more data on the dust burried in there with 25x600 you have a lot of signal there :)

Try to follow the steps on this tutorial "Screen mask invert" :

http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Here is my result taken with an Altair Astro 8" f/4 with only 11x10 min. @ 400 ISO, using this technic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37419943@N08/8998098384/

Good luck ;)

Luís

Hi Michael,

Did you spent much time processing this so nice pic? And which progs did you used?

Filipe

Hi, thanks :)

I did spent some time in PS to get it nicely. I am not a PS wizard so I need my time there.. hehe..

I used DSS for stacking and then just PS with Noel Carboni actions. (astronomy tools v1_6)

But most of the image is my personal approach. 

Also a modded DSLR is used and the nice stars are also a result of my new aplanatic coma corrector.

Cheers

Cheers Mike,

That's a good image, nice pinpoint stars!

I believe you have more data on the dust burried in there with 25x600 you have a lot of signal there :)

Try to follow the steps on this tutorial "Screen mask invert" :

http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Here is my result taken with an Altair Astro 8" f/4 with only 11x10 min. @ 400 ISO, using this technic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37419943@N08/8998098384/

Good luck ;)

Luís

Thanks!

I really like the dust and blue color in your picture Luis :)

Yes an F4 seems very good for this kind of work. Saves lots of time.. :grin:

Also many thanks for your tutorial, I like new approaches and new technics to get the most out of my data..

Cheers and CS

Mike

Congrats!

Must ask you, did you use your aplanatic with your f/5 scope (150PDS)? Haven't seen anywhere mentioned, that the aplanatic has tolerance elsewhere than with f/4, very nice to know that!!! :) I just got my new aplanatic 2 days ago, wanted to try it out for just 1 or 2 quick frames, but the clouds came in...I managed a 3sec shot of Vega between fast moving clouds, and I can already see improvement! My collimation was off, but other than that everything seems perfect. I intentionally imaged Vega, beeing a bright star to look for any reflections, and in this quick exposition there were NO reflections! :D Hopefully it will serve us both well :)

Thanks!

Yes, I use it with my F5. The aplanatic can be used till F4 not only for F4. 

Its expensive, but it certainly delivers on its promise. No single sign of coma in my images with a big DSLR sensor.

Thats a big relief. Also it doesnt reduce or what my previous coma corrector did,  giving a slight magnification. So my F5 is really an F5.

So far it served me well  :grin: