Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright Nova in Delphinus

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the same experience. Several early observations in bins, then the clouds rolled in and very little clear sky for weeks :-(

I caught a very brief glimpse of the nova about a week ago and it appeared to be less than 8.2, but the clouds arrived again before I could do a proper job. It was very faint then, even in my 15x70s, so probably a scope from here... if I get a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a shot with the big binoculars, but I had a hard time locating it. At one point I think I spotted it very briefly in averted vision, but the glimpse was too fleeting and hard to repeat, so I am not sure if I got it this time round. I checked out a few of the usual suspects: M27, quite nice, M13 low, but still OK, M45, glittering as it rose in the east, M31 nearing zenith but fairly anaemic looking in the slight haze that seems to be around. I tried a coupleof times, but the haze seems to be getting worse, so I do not think I will be getting the scope out. I would guess the nova is fainter than mag 10 at the moment, as I spotted one mag 9.9 comparison star, albeit faintly

Archived