SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bright Nova in Delphinus

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 9.10 - fantastic transparent night. Made the nova about the same as yesterday - mag 7.8

Had another look down Sagittarius - clear down to the horizon. The clusters and star fields stood out well and had a good view of Messier 6 and 7 again.

andrew

Nova Del 2013 light curve.pdf

Hi,

Just incase anyone is interested, I've produced a very rough light curve of Nova Del 2013 including observations from 16th Aug through to 10th Sep. All obs taken from previous postings where I can be reasonably sure of observation date. Time of observation date is not taken into factor, neither are multiple mag estimates giving the same result. Very rough and very crude but shows at the moment, an almost "straight line" magnitude vs time drop.

Enjoy!!

Les

The AAVSO produces light curves, derived from all data reported to it, for all variables on its list.

The one for Nova Del 2013 is here (updates automagically).

The one produced a few moments ago is this one. (Interesting how the red and blue magnitudes have separated as the nova has expanded.)

272858255.png

Also interesting is the spectrum; classic P-Cygni type blue-shifted absorption lines.

It's holding up well against that mag 8.0 star next to it. In misty condition its red colour (indicated by the AAVSO light curves), should make it relatively brighter than say an A0 star, as mist scatters red light less than blue. I might check the spectral type of the mag 8.0 star on the comparison chart, as it seemed a lot fainter than the mag 7.9 one, in the slightly hazy conditions we have had here.

I caught it in the scope last night, first time in the scope. It looked quite red, and I thought it was slightly dimmer than the 8.0 mag star it is close to. Difficult to tell with the colour difference though.

Stu

post-14782-0-06827200-1380703255_thumb.jI agree, on the 29th Sept I estimated 8.5 with comparison stars of 80 and 90. I noticed that some of the latest observations on AAVSO were near 8.9 but I still sent mine in to the website as 8.5. The spectrum is still showing strong H alpha, H beta and [O I]? lines. I am a novice in spectrography and the identification of O I hopefully is correct.

Archived