Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright Nova in Delphinus

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the headsup! My first nova :). Easy find in my 10x50s, using Sagitta as a pointer. I reckoned about mag 6+, not that I've much experience at this sort of thing, plus still wisps of cloud hanging around the place.

EDIT - Actually having just had another quick look - I reckon its brighter than I first thought. 5 +?

Found fairly easily with my 8x40s - several charts on the internet showing where it is, and once you know where to look, it's pretty obvious when you see it. Around magnitude 5, I guess.

Just back in after 2 very brief looks - lots of high clouds with small holes - cirrocumulus? Either side of 10pm in the 10x50s. Looked comparable in brightness or a shade below that of eta Sagitta. Would estimate it's dropped below 5th mag.

It blends in more with the pretty asterism.

andrew

It'll probably have completely faded by the time I get a break in the cloud!

It seems to be holding up quite well, and should be with us for a few weeks at least. Your Helios Apollo should be able to follow it down to mag 9 or 10, and after that, you could follow it with the 12" scope.

Finally got enough clear sky to look at this through my Canon 15x50. Quite easy to spot by star hopping from Delphinus. Had a go at estimating the brightness using various star charts and I think it's at 5.7 ish (I'd be interested to know if anyone else has an estimate for tonight to see how close I am!!) Anyway now the clouds are back so I think that might be it for tonight!!

Archived